HDV to XDCAM PDW-F70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #1
New Boot

HDV to XDCAM PDW-F70

I need to convert HDV footage to XDCAM 1080i 60 35mbps on a PDW-F70 deck so I can work with my other XCCAM footage. Can anybody walk me through how to convert using this deck?
Gregory Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I believe you need an optional board to bring HDV into the PDW-F70, but maybe you knew that already.

I don't know what NLE you are using, but with Avid you can bring in HDV in the same timeline with XDCAM and edit. You would have to transcode everything to DNXHD for output.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry, didn't see your post below.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I could be wrong but I don't think the TS board will transcode or change the data rate from 25Mb. I think it only allows the input/output of 25Mb streams.
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think the TS board will transcode or change the data rate from 25Mb. I think it only allows the input/output of 25Mb streams.
I believe that's true from looking at the manual. It appears though, that one could ingest into a media bin at 35, drop the material onto an HDV sequence, then output that sequence to the deck for recording on XDCAM disc.

On a side note...

Alister, I know you are a storm chaser and FYI, we had an F3 tornado come through parts of the Dallas metroplex last night. Only 1 fatality but lots of damage. Fortunately, it was well south of my location.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My guess is that the new FCP will be able to mix data rates, so perhaps very soon you won't need to transcode to 35Mb anyway. This would save an unnecessary compression step that would additional artifacts.

OT. I leave for Oklahoma City in the USA on 30th April for a few weeks of tornado chasing. I am also running a dedicated lightning filming/photography tour in July. Taking some ultra low light astronomy cameras and telescopes in the hope of maybe capturing some blue jets and sprites.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts