Final Cut Studio 2 is on its way at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut Studio 2 is on its way

Final Cut Studio 2 is on its way. The 499 dollar update includes: Final Cut Pro 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Compressor 3, DVD Studio Pro 4 and Color — a brand-new application for professional colour grading

FCP6 brings a new high quality HD codec: ProRes 422. One can drag clips with different formats and even different frame rates into the new open format timeline. Also better support for XDCAM HD footage.

Find out for yourself at http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

Last edited by Klaas van Urk; April 16th, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What way is it better for XDCAM HD?
Richard Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Major Player

In FCP6, XDCAM HD 18/25/35 are fully paid up members of the "camera - native" club, which means you'll be able to mix them in an "Open Format Timeline" along with DV, DVCPRO, DVCAM, HDV, DVCPRO 50, IMX, DVCPRO HD, Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit SD and Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit HD ... all in real-time, without transcoding.

Not too shabby for our venerable FCP.

Also XDCAM Transfer 2.0 will improve things workflow wise, adding ...

"... the following new features: clip rename and deletion, quick thumbnail load, metadata editing, connect multiple XDCAM devices via FAM, import with 'Disc Name + Clip Name', improve performance of partial HD clip import, cliplist preview and import partial HR clip, support for PDW-U1 bare drive. The transfer speeds are going to be faster too. This is because proxies are currently cached and are not accessed directly from the disc. With the new PDZK-P1 software the proxies will be accessed directly from disc so overall transfer/import times will be much quicker."
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Has anyone been the the Apple booth at NAB to confirm if FCP 6
has / does full support of HD XDCAM Proxies?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #5
Major Player

I don't think it offers proxy support yet which is a shame, but I'm sure it will come.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

What about support for XDCAM Proxies in FC Server? That is where I really want XDCAM proxy support.
Scot Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Apple's site says:

Tapeless formats
It’s easy to work with the latest high-speed, tapeless devices from Panasonic and Sony. Use the Log and Transfer function in Final Cut Pro for ingesting Panasonic P2 files or Sony’s free XDCAM Transfer software for ingesting 18-, 25-, and 35-Mbps XDCAM HD footage. Preview shots before you bring them in, add In and Out points, and incorporate metadata before you transfer files to save time when you get to the edit. Ingest tapeless files in the background at high speeds while you continue to edit or preview other material.

I can't figure out FCP has a better ingest function inside the program or do they talk about XDCAM Transfer to do the job?
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Major Player

>I can't figure out FCP has a better ingest function inside the program or do they talk about XDCAM Transfer to do the job?

They're talking about XDCAM Tranfer ... FCP's built in MXF import module is for P2 ingest
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Edius Broadcast from Grass Valley < Canopus > works and play well with all
flavors/fomats including XDCAM HD on the same TL.
Also works with proxies too.
It's a great editing app, with a free trial to check out.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #10
Major Player

It certainly does work, and the 4.5 update is much anticipated ... but "great editing app" ? I think that depends on your point of reference. My first NLE's were Lightworks and Heavyworks, then I moved to Avid MC's and thence to FCP and back and forth. Now my job requires I use Edius. Its painful at best.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts