Sony HDW-700A OR 350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HDW-700A OR 350

I have worked with the 350 and I really liked it alot but the production company wants to switch to the 700. Can anyone help me sell the 350 to the company.

Thanks
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

The 350 is a much more flexible camera. Either the company in question cares about that, or they don't.

If all they perceive ever doing is 60i, then the 350 is going to be impossible to sell, because the 700 is not much more these days.
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I havent worked with a 700 but have worked with the tape medium for many years. I am unaware of the type production you do or workflow but if time is an issue from Pre through Post Production that is the avenue I have noticed that is a huge selling point for the 350 XDHD cam. I did some calculations between tape and tapeless workflow concerning our style of workflow and with tapeless we could get 3 years of work done in the time it takes us to get 1 year of tape medium work done, time is money in some workflows. hope this helps good luck
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

all the directors and DPs who's used our F350, directly fell in love with its quality and ease of use.

Once a person experienced the XDCAMHD tapeless workflow, he'll never want to go back to tape.

Show them the thumbnail view, and how fast n easy to choose n playback a clip. Any director would prefer it right away.

Pick a slomo / fast motion footage in the thumbnail view, n playback rightaway. Any producer/director will say WOW.

Show them a printout of the cliplist with thumbnails from PD-Z1 software. They will WOW a second time.

Show them fast importing the MPEG4 proxies into your laptop's NLE software. Third time WOW.

:)
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pugerude View Post
I have worked with the 350 and I really liked it alot but the production company wants to switch to the 700. Can anyone help me sell the 350 to the company.

Thanks
To me, the 700A is pretty much just a door stop. It sure outputs a good images, but it's heavy, power hungry (44W?), only does 1080i and is quite slow. Other than these, HDCAM operation costs (camera + decks) are very high and the workflow is well... basic. Who wants one?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts