XDCam Transfer Software, FCP, reconnecting proxies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCam Transfer Software, FCP, reconnecting proxies

I'm running Final Cut Pro and importing XDCam HD (35mbs) clips via the XDCam Transfer Software in FAM mode. This project has over 30 optical discs of footage so far. All the clips from these discs had been opened in the transfer software and the proxies stored on a G-Technology G-Sata drive.

The g-sata drive starting making noises and locking up my computer. After a day of working with it, I was able to save all my data by moving it onto another g-sata drive. G-tech wants me to send them the bad drive.

The new g-sata drive containing all my assests is named exactly like the old/broken g-sata drive. When I open my FCP project, all my captured clips and render files are connected. The problem is when I open the XDCam Transfer Software. All the discs that were listed under the "Source" column are missing, meaning I no longer have the proxie clips to view. I can look under the "Proxies" folder on the g-sata drive and they are there (all 21 gb of them), but for some reason the transfer software lost it's connection to them. I've tried clicking on the "add" button and going to the proxie folder, but I only get a message reading:

"No Supported Files...XDCam Transfer could not find any XDCAM compatiable files at this location."

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the software to recognize all these previously captured proxies?
Thanks!
Ray Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Wrangler

Let me ask a stupid question. Does the replacement G-sata drive have the same Volume Label as the prior one? Anything different in the path name can cause confusion. Use Disk Utility to make sure if you haven't already matched the volume labels.

That's the only thing that comes to mind so far.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Major Player

have you reset your Proxies and Thumbnails cache location in the XDCAM Transfer preferences?

try specifically redirecting the location to the new disc

also check that you have not inadvertently launched XDCAM Transfer whilst you G-RAID was not connected (perhaps whilst you were initially having the disc problems and changed from one disc to its replacement). if thats the case you might have accidentally created a fake import location in your /Volumes directory.

go to the Finder and choose Go menu > Go To Folder... (Cmd - Shift - G)
then in the "Go to the folder" path field type "/Volumes" (without the quotes)

if you see a folder there with your G-RAID's disc name, rather than a disc alias icon then that is probably your problem. quiit XDCAM Transfer, delete that folder from the /Volumes directory, then relaunch XDCAM Transfer.

remember. never launch XDCAM Transfer when any targeted disc is not attached, or this bug can be triggered occur.

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Greg and Andy! Turns out my replacement G-sata drive did have the same Volume label as the prior one and I didn't have the folder bug Andy mentioned. Both were good things to look at though.

I did solve the problem by chance:
I insert one of my earlier captured XDCam discs into the camera and opened up FCP and the transfer software. The transfer software immediately recognized that the proxies had already been captured once the clip list fully loaded. It did not have to recapture the proxie files. I think if I just insert all the discs back into the camera and open up the transfer software, connections to all the proxies will be reestablished. I probably should have tried this before sending out the original email.

Thanks for all the help on this though. I appreciate it.
Ray
Ray Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts