SD out on 330 XD HD CAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1
New Boot

SD out on 330 XD HD CAM

Has anyone else had trouble wirelessly transmitting video out of a XDCAM? Has anyone had success? If so what transmitter system are you using?*

Issue with wirelessly transmitting analog out on Sony XDCAM using a RF-LINKS MX-50/65T standard 1volt 75ohm video transmitter.

Most SD video outs on cams output a 1 volt 75ohm signal. A standard for composite tv monitors and video transmitter inputs.* We tested the RF-LINKS MX-50/65T video transmitter on Sony Beta cams, DVCAMS, Sony Z1, and a Canon XLH1, it worked great. However we also tested the transmitter with three different Sony XDCAM's with the composite output down-converting HD to SD in High Def mode and with the cam's in DVCAM mode. Both the composite video out and the Y out of the component won't work with the transmitter. There is a signal but it's a black screen like a black burst generator. We then tested each camera's output hard wired straight to various monitors. There was a color video signal every time. We called Sony Tech support twice with no solution found.

Aaron Freeman (Videographer)
Information Television Network
561-997-5433 Ext.352
aaron@itvisus.com
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Have you set the camera to a suitable frame rate? The MX50/65T is an NTSC unit and may need a 60i input to work?

The composite output on my F350 certainly seems to be "legal".
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Wrangler

I've had issues with the composite out on my 350 as well, to particular sources. Something that feels like the output switches off if the resistance isn't quite right, or a load/termination pickiness, or something.

I've yet to figure it out.
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
I've had issues with the composite out on my 350 as well, to particular sources. Something that feels like the output switches off if the resistance isn't quite right, or a load/termination pickiness, or something.

I've yet to figure it out.
Interesting... I took two F-350 on a live shoot, ran both cameras composite outputs through a Panasonic switcher and could not get a signal. Pluging the cameras straight to a monitor worked fine. We also try other cameras (Beta SP and DSR-500) instead of the F350s and the mixer was working fine. There is definetly something fishy about the composite output timing. Would love to see this investigated. Any engineer minds ready to tackle this here?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #5
New Boot

I finally got a hold of someone at Sony tech support that knew something. Turns out the XDCAM has a on/off circuit for the video out to save battery power. If the cam doesn't detect a termination from the source your outputting to, the Cam's output shuts off. If you have issues you may need to add a resistor to the video line, usually a 100ohm resistor. This goes for 330's and 350's.*

Now on the 350 there is also a menu option called the "LIVE and Play" button or something like that (I don't have a 350 so I'm not sure).*This button I'm told can interfere with the video output.

Aaron Freeman (Videographer)
Information Television Network
561-997-5433 Ext.352
aaron@itvisus.com
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Buruchian View Post
I finally got a hold of someone at Sony tech support that knew something. Turns out the XDCAM has a on/off circuit for the video out to save battery power. If the cam doesn't detect a termination from the source your outputting to, the Cam's output shuts off. If you have issues you may need to add a resistor to the video line, usually a 100ohm resistor. This goes for 330's and 350's.*

Now on the 350 there is also a menu option called the "LIVE and Play" button or something like that (I don't have a 350 so I'm not sure).*This button I'm told can interfere with the video output.]
Live and Play allows you to send playback out the composite or HDSDI while the live shot is visible in the viewfinder/LCD. This permits running a b-roll package during a live stand-up and moving or reframing while the package is playing. The terminating resistor usually goes on the end of the daisy chain. For example, if you are feeding a composite monitor that has a composite output loop of the input, you have to feed something down the line, or put a terminating plug on it. The plug is just a BNC connector with the resistor soldered from center to shield. A 100 ohm resistor would be about right for terminating 75 ohm impedance (close enough as they say).

That's very good info, Bob. Thanks for the diligence and getting this back to the forum.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Telecam Films

Yes, great info Bob and thanks to Mr. G. for the add-ons. It is kind of a surprising info but by nature, disc recording being more power hungry than tape cameras, I suppose Sony has looked at every possible ways to save and optimize power. Now, most modern monitors have built-in, automatic termination so I assume that when using those, there is no need to carry terminators in your pockets. That said, I am wondering how digital switchers handle this. I was using a Panasonic MX-12 switcher on the shoot I mentioned above and I am wondering if this is enough load for the camera to not switch its composite circuitry off? Also this mixer has a digital frame synchronizer (no need to for genlock) and I am wondering if this confuses the F350s as well. May be I should try to force termination by pluging in terminators on the video out BNCs?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I regularily do live hits with my F350, with no problem, same with feeding footage.

A very long time ago I worked at a cable station that had a Panasonic switcher, and it need terminators to be added to the video-outs of each channel. Otherwise the signal would be un-terminated.

My old Sony BVP 90 camera's video out would be reduce to a B&W image if it was un-terminated.

Good to know that a terminator is all that's required.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts