Is it confirmed DiscoveryHD accepts XDCAM? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #16
Inner Circle

P.S. An interesting question here is whether broadcasters will come to accept footage from the XDCAM EX camera without restrictions, once that camera is shipping.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM   #17
Major Player

I imagine that Discovery specified a 35mbps variable rate over the constant 25mbps rate because there was a difference in the quality of the footage. They decided they needed a starting point for their specs.

But, they also allowed the show "The Deadliest Catch" to shoot the majority (if not 100%) of their show in HDV with Sony small cameras. I have noticed that all of the cameras that are mentioned in these forums are finding use in various productions by different photographers. I did not want to start debating the merits of specific cameras.

The reference to setting up a Z1 to match a F350 was limited to the camera setting itself. There is not a lot of adjustments that can be made with the Z1, so depending on how your F350 is setup you can only adjust detail and chroma saturation and then try to match white balance in the field. The rest has to be done in post. Most of what I have had to adjust is in the gamma and the blacks.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
But, they also allowed the show "The Deadliest Catch" to shoot the majority (if not 100%) of their show in HDV with Sony small cameras.
I thought I read somewhere that "The Deadliest Catch" is shot mostly with PD170s, but I can't find that reference now. Also, as far as I can know the show isn't airing in HD, so the HD technical requirements wouldn't be relevant.

Getting back to the original topic, the point seems to be that XDCAM HD at the 35 Mbps bit rate is considered good enough for Discovery HD, so there's the answer.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM   #19
Major Player

Here's a reference:
http://www.avid.com/profiles/070521_...atch_dnxhd.asp
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks Bob, that's useful info. Something to mention to customers if they wonder about the viability of HDV...

P.S. Could it be that they shot earlier seasons on PD170s? I'm almost sure I saw that in an article somewhere.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Don't know. Could be.

Also in that article they mention that the XDCAM HD format was used for the program "Icy Roads" on the History Channel. I have read an interview with the DP in which he stated the cameras were chosen for the picture quality and ruggedness in those conditions.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
Also in that article they mention that the XDCAM HD format was used for the program "Icy Roads" on the History Channel. I have read an interview with the DP in which he stated the cameras were chosen for the picture quality and ruggedness in those conditions.
Slight correction, Bob. That show is called, "Ice Road Truckers". A job, BTW, that the few truck drivers I know say they would never do!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts