Best way to transfer XDCAM to FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 18th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to transfer XDCAM to FCP?

I just completed a two day shoot, and I have about two and a half disks worth of video to transfer FCP.

I want to use my camera(F350) to dump the files to his computer. The client hasn't worked with XDcam yet, and I don't have any experience in this either, as I usually just feed to networks over fibre. Could someone outline the fastest way to do this. They are going to down load the Sony driver.

Alternatively, I could also go HDSDI out to their DVCProHD machine.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Peter,

If you want to give the client all the material, and let them play around with XDCAM Transfer to learn that part of the workflow, you can copy each disc (the four directories) onto a separate folder on an external hard drive. The transfer software will treat the folder and its four directories like an actual XDCAM disc, allowing client to pick and choose multiple clips and sub clips which then get unwrapped and imported into FCP.

The other method, if you're feeling generous, is to once again use a client supplied external hard drive, and use XDCAM Transfer to select all clips on the disc and unwrap to Quicktime movie files that are ready to edit. Those files can be dragged straight into the FCP bin.

If you have time to sit with the client, letting them log with the Transfer software, you can eliminate ingesting unneeded material onto their hard drive. But with the cost of drives these days, it's almost miniscule to dump an entire XDCAM HD disc or discs onto a portable drive.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Greg, your suggestion on coping the disks worked great. Thanks!

It was my first "low light" shoot involving a behind the scenes look at a music video being shot with the National Symphony Orchestra in Ottawa. The footage came out very nice, though I spotted a dark mark(pixels) in the lower left corner.

Do you know whether the black balancing trick works for dark pixels?
I couldn't see them on my SD monitor, but on the HD monitor they showed up. The camera is off soon to Sony for the optical filter upgrade, so they can check it out at that time.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Sorry to stray off subject, but what kind of optical filter upgrade does Sony do? Can you specify a filter to be put in, say for instance a cross screen on filter #2 instead of a neutral density?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Sorry to stray off subject, but what kind of optical filter upgrade does Sony do? Can you specify a filter to be put in, say for instance a cross screen on filter #2 instead of a neutral density?
Warren, the optical filter he speaks of is the one in front of the prism block that blocks excessive IR region lightwaves. There is a service bulletin on cameras that have serial numbers at around 500 and below for showing excessive blue fringing on objects at the edges of frame when shooting wide angles. The new filter helps overcome that issue.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Greg!
I don't own one of these cameras. From reading the post, I thought for a moment it was possible for Sony to swap filters in the filter wheel. Shucks.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

off topic- filter wheels

I know a Tiffen make replacement filters for the wheels in HDCAM and Digibeta's. I used to have a pro-mist in place of the star filter in my DVW700. If the filters are the same size I see no reason why these could not be fitted to an XDCAM.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts