Transend CF faster than Kingston! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old February 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Transend CF faster than Kingston!

I bought three CF chips to try with my new Z7: two Kingston Memory and one Transcend. They were all 16GB and rated at 133x speed. The Kingston Memory cards were more expensive and I was pretty sure they would work, but I couldn't resist trying the Transcend 16GB card because it was so cheap and if by chance it did work, it was only $79.

Strangely, I have been having problems with dropped frames on the Kingston CF but not the Transcend (at least not yet). This seemed strange so I downloaded a utility that can test memory card read and write speed and ran the test on both the Kingston and Transcend CF.

To my surprise, the Transcend outperforms the Kingston! I'll post screenshots of the results as soon as I figure out how to post pictures here.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

The first test is the Transcend. The second is the Kingston.
Attached Thumbnails
Transend CF faster than Kingston!-transcend.png   Transend CF faster than Kingston!-kingston.png  

Old February 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Laurence, look for a "Manage Attachments" button in the Additional Options box below the text area input field when making a post. That should allow you to upload images.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Laurence! I don't use CF cards for video, but I'm definitely going to buy this for my Rebel XTi! What an amazing price!
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Here is where you can download the test:

http://www.flashmemorytoolkit.com/

You can run the speed test without registering the program.

I would love to see the results for the 32GB Transcend card. Could anyone with this card do it?
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm doing a write-up of several cards, including Sandisk, Kingston, Transcend, A-Data, and Lexar. It's quite interesting thus far, but I, too have been surprised by Transcend being faster in many cases than a few others.

I am using a benchmark routine as well as other methods and am hoping to be finished by the weekend - finally.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Major Player

That is awesome Marshall. Please let us know what you find.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The difficulty I've found with this sort of testing is knowing whether what is being measured is the speed of the card......... or the reader, port, computer, drive being written to or a combination of the lot!! Any ideas how to overcome this? Certainly people seem to be finding widely differing transfer times off SxS cards depending whether they are put directly into a laptop, or used with USB or Firewire readers.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
The difficulty I've found with this sort of testing is knowing whether what is being measured is the speed of the card......... or the reader, port, computer, drive being written to or a combination of the lot!! Any ideas how to overcome this? Certainly people seem to be finding widely differing transfer times off SxS cards depending whether they are put directly into a laptop, or used with USB or Firewire readers.
Well remember that the Compact Flash unit on the Z7 and 270 is fed via firewire. If the card is any faster than the firewire link to the camera, that exta speed really doesn't matter. Well maybe it would transfer files a little quicker to the hard drive in the right reader, but it would make no difference whatsoever in how well the footage was captured. Also remember, that firewire can actually handle several streams of HDV footage at once, so write speed should only matter if it's below a certain point.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Major Player

I just ran the program on my 32GB Transcend card. I ran the test twice to see if there was any kind of variance.
Attached Thumbnails
Transend CF faster than Kingston!-transcend-32gb.png   Transend CF faster than Kingston!-transcend-32gb-2.png  

Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm doing as unbiased of testing as I can, based on the speed of the cards with regards to the actual card itself and not relying on a computer, reader, etc. It tends to be a bit more controlled that way.

There are numerous variants when using computers, readers, and so forth as the speed variations and throughputs are so inconsistent.

I'll report back over the weekend for sure.

mll
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Chad. Those numbers are even better than the ones I got with my 16GB card. Now I feel safe enough to buy this card. Especially considering the excellent Tapeworks Texas price, the Transcend 32GB CF is definitely the card to get for this camcorder.

By the way, video files are always large, so the fastest numbers on the chart: the 5 MB ones are the ones that most closely rate to what one would expect in using this card with a Z7 or 270.
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #13
New Boot

thank you very much for that comprehensive test!! great to read that not only the expensive stuff is the best.

by the way.. heard last week, that sandisk is going to launch a 16 GB extreme IV compact flash card.

clemens from vienna.
Clemens Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens Fischer View Post
thank you very much for that comprehensive test!! great to read that not only the expensive stuff is the best.

by the way.. heard last week, that sandisk is going to launch a 16 GB extreme IV compact flash card.

clemens from vienna.

Yeah, I tried getting a hold of one, but that was an impossible task. Same with the Sony's at that time, too.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #15
New Boot

All the transfer rates that I read on that thread are much too slow.
I use two Sandisk 16Go 133X with my Z7, and it take 17 minutes to transfer the full card on my computer, aproximatively 1Go/mn, 16Mo/s... simply using a Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 reader.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders