DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Awesome news for canon users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/116520-awesome-news-canon-users.html)

Annie Haycock September 26th, 2008 08:02 AM

It's limited use for me too, as I shoot mostly wildlife. But when using the kitchen as a blind, or a blind in the garden, or small creatures on a set, I have had the luxury of recording direct to the laptop. And being able to focus via the bigger screen is wonderful. Anywhere else, and I'm recording only to tape. But I can't help feeling that when I'm in dusty environments, using equipment that doesn't have any more moving parts than absolutely necessary is a good thing. Hence I'm following this thread with interest.

Jeff Kellam September 26th, 2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 943430)
While a laptop is a good and viable option, many of us, like myself, need to be totally compact and portable.
So a laptop is not an option.

Most of the time I am run and gun for sports events, weddings, and such. A laptop would be viable option for my stage performances and some cooperate production. But a CF recorder is very small, lightweight, and very reliable (as there's no moving parts). Plus the cards are swappable, whiole hard drive solutions are not.

I don't mean to take this thread too off topic, but being a longtime A1 user who just got a Panasonic AG HMC-150, I thought I would share my tapeless excitement.

So far, a tapeless camera seems the way to go. Just sticking the SDHC card in the card reader gets stuff on the HD and timeline really quick, literally in a couple minutes, then put the SDHC card back in the camera.

I really like the A1s and I hope the next ones are tapeless. It's possible a tapeless XH-A1 will be out in the next year I would think.

Philip Williams September 26th, 2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan Parmenides (Post 943024)
Interesting, really, but not too practical if you want to record native m2t files.

I thought the CF recorder does save m2t files...?? Did I remember that wrong?

Philip Williams September 26th, 2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 943495)
I really like the A1s and I hope the next ones are tapeless. It's possible a tapeless XH-A1 will be out in the next year I would think.

I really wish Canon would release a CF or SD recording unit that integrates with the XH series, maybe at the $600-800 price point. They'd sell by the boatload and offer Canon the benefit of retaining a couple of customers that might have jumped brands otherwise.

Randy Panado October 22nd, 2008 07:15 PM

Anything new happening with this thing? Anxious to move into tapeless workflow..lol.

Samuel Ko October 30th, 2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 954374)
Anything new happening with this thing? Anxious to move into tapeless workflow..lol.

B&H doesnt have it on their site yet.
And the sony site only has a "have sony contact me" button

Evan C. King October 30th, 2008 11:45 PM

In the states you can get if from b&h.
In canada you can get it from vistek.

$850 at b&H: Sony | HVR-MRC1 MEMORY RECORDING UNIT | HVR-MRC1 | B&H Photo

Evan C. King October 30th, 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams (Post 943549)
I thought the CF recorder does save m2t files...?? Did I remember that wrong?

Nope you're right, a quick process from that to bring them into most nles.

Richard Hunter October 31st, 2008 08:19 AM

Hi Evan. I use Vegas and Edius, and they both accept m2t files directly. Are you saying the CF recorder files need a conversion to make them m2t, or that other NLEs don't accept m2t files? I'd appreciate it if you could clarify that please.

Richard

Evan C. King October 31st, 2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 958028)
Hi Evan. I use Vegas and Edius, and they both accept m2t files directly. Are you saying the CF recorder files need a conversion to make them m2t, or that other NLEs don't accept m2t files? I'd appreciate it if you could clarify that please.

Richard

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was saying that it does make m2t and certain nles can't read m2t natively. For example final cut needs a plugin off sony's site to take in m2t. It's does an extremely quick rewrap of the file, so it really doesn't count as a transcode.

In vegas and edius you obviously don't even need a plugin which is pretty sweet.

Richard Hunter October 31st, 2008 05:34 PM

Hi Evan. That's great, thanks for the clarification!

Richard

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 1st, 2008 11:29 AM

Hi, is there a way to attach this unit on the rear bracket of an XLH1 ?

Daan van Bergen November 5th, 2008 03:33 AM

Struggling with the HVR-MRC1K and XH-A1

Hello,

I bought the HVR-MRC1K in the Netherlands and trying to get the rec-button synct.
I can't get it to work.

When I connect the Firewire cable to the camera, the recorder thinks, It's connected to a computer (You see in the screen CF---Computer).

- I changed menu : 'settings-camlink select' to 'follow' and 'synchro',
- I tried with CamLink on and off
- I tried normal camera-settings M, Auto, and Ext . Control...

The only way It seems to work a bit is if :
- I set the camera to M
- Set Cam Link (button) : ON
- Set menu : setttings-camlink select' to 'synchro'
- Connect Fire Wire
- Go to menu and choose DV-PAL (I do'n't use HDV)

Then, When I push the record button on the camera, I see a red light on the recorder and a attemp to start.

I have the feeling I m nearby.. Anybody have experiences ??

Rgds, Daan

Evan C. King November 5th, 2008 12:10 PM

Daan in the XH-A1's menu go "System Setup --> DV Control ON" then the recorder will not see the A1 as a computer

Bob Thompson November 5th, 2008 01:15 PM

Daan,

When you get the unit up and running could you please try simultaneously shooting HDV to tape and SD to CF, to see if there are any problems.

I would also love to know if the record to 14 second cache works.

Thanks

Bob

Tania Ratu November 5th, 2008 01:49 PM

Exciting times for us tape users. Hopefully the units will be available here in NZ in the next few months. Will have to chase up the local supplier.
Ratu

Daan van Bergen November 5th, 2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King (Post 959871)
Daan in the XH-A1's menu go "System Setup --> DV Control ON" then the recorder will not see the A1 as a computer

It was already 'On'.. Other suggestions ?

Evan C. King November 5th, 2008 07:55 PM

I've got a MRC1K. Here's some unboxing photos via picasa:

Picasa Web Albums - Evan - Sony HVR-MRC1...

Evan C. King November 5th, 2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daan van Bergen (Post 959950)
It was already 'On'.. Other suggestions ?

I don't know other than I set my MRC1K to "Synchro" instead of follow and now I'm able to use the A1's record button to control the unit no problem.

Randy Panado November 5th, 2008 11:47 PM

How do you keep recording to CF card while you're changing tapes?

Marty Hudzik November 6th, 2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King (Post 960052)

I like the idea of this unit but doesn't it seem a bit bulky and awkward mounted on the shoe like that? It just seems as thought it would completely take away any ergonics that your camera has.

I have an XLh1 and would like to mount it on the rear accesorry plate myself but am not sure exactly how to pull that off until I have one in hand. Regardless.....let us know how it goes. I just know that I personally would not want to mount that on my H1 at the accessory shoe as the weight distribution is already whack.

Peace.

Chuck Fadely November 6th, 2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

What's the workflow with Final Cut? Will the Sony plugin work for drag-n-drop, no-rendering-required m2t editing?

Evan C. King November 6th, 2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely (Post 960206)
What's the workflow with Final Cut? Will the Sony plugin work for drag-n-drop, no-rendering-required m2t editing?

Yeah you just fire up fcp's log and transfer once you've installed sony's plugin and it's a very quick rewrap process to bring it in. I'm almost positive it's just rewrapping and not transcoding which is why it's so quick.

Evan C. King November 6th, 2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik (Post 960205)
I like the idea of this unit but doesn't it seem a bit bulky and awkward mounted on the shoe like that? It just seems as thought it would completely take away any ergonics that your camera has.

I have an XLh1 and would like to mount it on the rear accesorry plate myself but am not sure exactly how to pull that off until I have one in hand. Regardless.....let us know how it goes. I just know that I personally would not want to mount that on my H1 at the accessory shoe as the weight distribution is already whack.

Peace.

Agreed. I just put in top of the camera to show everyone what it comes with but for now I'm just using a longer cable and chucking it in a pocket. I'm working on making a clip of some sort that I can hang it off the handgrip.

For your bracket the unit has a 1/4 20(I think) screw hole on the bottom so you just need some kind of "U" shaped bracket for the back of your XL and the other end can go underneath the mrc1k with the non-opening side touching the XLH1. Essentially what I'm picturing is the recording unit on it's side with the battery facing your right ear and the recorder's interface facing towards your outside right side since the mrc1 opens on the left side to put in CF cards in.

So if I were you I'd make the bracket with the the right side of recorder facing the back of the XLH1 so you can both put in cards and change batteries easily.

Evan C. King November 7th, 2008 10:11 AM

For anyone wanting to know the exact process of making it work with the A1 here it is:

So record to card only this is my process:
- In the A1's menu so "System Setup ---> DVControl ON"
- Connect the firewire cable between the A1 and the MRC1K
- Turn on the MRC1K throw in your CF card (it won't let you get to the MRC1K's menu without a card in it) and go press the MENU button
- Now go "SETTING ----> CAMLINK SEL"
- Choose "SYNCHRO"
- Now on the A1 you should see a green box next to "DVCONTROL"
- Your now able to control the recording with the A1's record buttons and don't need to shoot tape at the same time

That's all there is to it. Once it's set once you don't need to do it again. Just connect the two and turn the MRC1K and you're ready to go.
I may to a little youtube vid about it or something.

Randy Panado November 7th, 2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. King (Post 960699)
For anyone wanting to know the exact process of making it work with the A1 here it is:

- Turn on the MRC1K throw in your CF card (it won't let you get to the MRC1K's menu without a card in it) and go press the MENU button
- Now go "SETTING ----> CAMLINK SEL"
- Choose "SYNCHRO"
- Now on the A1 you should see a green box next to "DVCONTROL"
- Your now able to control the recording with the A1's record buttons and don't need to shoot tape at the same time

That's all there is to it. Once it's set once you don't need to do it again. Just connect the two and turn the MRC1K and you're ready to go.

Can you still record to CF while changing tapes? If so, how?

Thanks for all the info Evan, much appreciated.

Daan van Bergen November 8th, 2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Heeee !
This works for me. Don't know what I did wrong.. Thanksss !

Rgds,
Daan

Daan van Bergen November 8th, 2008 09:44 AM

BUT !!!!

Is my camera goes to sleep, I have the same problem :
The recorder is trying to connect the CF card (?)

I , again you have to choose for DV-PAL and the everything fires up again....

Maybe I have an other setting wrong ? Can anybody tell me the other settings in the menu ?

Rgds, Daan

Daan van Bergen November 8th, 2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

He Evan,
Where can I find the YouTube vid ?

Thks, Daan

Hoy Quan November 9th, 2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Where did you get your unit from? I can only find a couple of dealers listing the item in the US and both of them are backordered or preorder. The best price I found so far is US $753.08

Dave Stern November 9th, 2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 960758)
Can you still record to CF while changing tapes? If so, how?

Thanks for all the info Evan, much appreciated.

I have the same question ... is the XH A1 putting video out of the firewire even when not recording? or only when recording? (e.g. can video still be recorded while changing tapes).... is the video out of the firewire impacted by the tape change?

Terry Martin November 10th, 2008 12:04 AM

The firewire hdv output continues during the tape stop and tape eject functions. When record is enabled on the new tape, apparently some frames are dropped, but output continues.

Depends on how sensitive your capture/ editing software is to the dropped frames (or maybe timecode is reset). I record to a nNovia backup recorder through tape changes, but I don’t record on the new tape until I reach an appropriate point.

Dave Stern November 10th, 2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Martin (Post 961635)
The firewire hdv output continues during the tape stop and tape eject functions. When record is enabled on the new tape, apparently some frames are dropped, but output continues.

Depends on how sensitive your capture/ editing software is to the dropped frames (or maybe timecode is reset). I record to a nNovia backup recorder through tape changes, but I don’t record on the new tape until I reach an appropriate point.

thanks .. I checked the manual and it does say some audio may be dropped briefly .. but it seem slike both audio and video may be dropped ?

and from your post it sounds like when the record is engaged it when it happens? does it also happen when you hit stop (e.g. when you press record to stop recording) or do you just let the tape run out?

and it also seems from your post that say for a live event, if you re-engage record on the new tape, doing so in a gap between speakers, for example, minimized the impact of the dropout (?)... I guess it's a balancing act between when the dropout occurs and how much is missed by not recording on tape as well (e.g. the extreme would be recoding only on the external device but having no tape at all)

thanks for the info ...!!

Terry Martin November 11th, 2008 01:45 AM

Dave,

Yes, you can definitely stop, eject and reload another tape without interrupting the firewire HDV output.

Now think in terms of timecode, the timecode is linked to the tape, and presumably continues out the firewire port after the tape is stopped, or the recording device just continues on it’s own. When the new tape is started, the timecode has to change.

I use an nNovia recorder to back up the tape, and it will record through the tape change, but my editor, Avid, is not happy about the time code or dropped frame glitch.

I tested the process by recording the A1 firewire output into an HV30 cam. That is where I discovered the glitch happens with the record function on the new tape.
Bottom line for me is that I cannot import a nNovia backup file that includes a record enable glitch. I can however split the file, and import the two halves, with only the loss of about 1 second of media.

Hope this helps.

Brian Pratt November 11th, 2008 08:53 AM

Sony HVRMRC1 manual

Not sure if this has been posted before, operating instructions for Sony HVRMRC1 ..
http://www.fullcompass.com/common/fi...20HVRMRC1K.pdf

Randy Panado November 11th, 2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Martin (Post 962047)
Dave,

Yes, you can definitely stop, eject and reload another tape without interrupting the firewire HDV output.

Now think in terms of timecode, the timecode is linked to the tape, and presumably continues out the firewire port after the tape is stopped, or the recording device just continues on it’s own. When the new tape is started, the timecode has to change.

I use an nNovia recorder to back up the tape, and it will record through the tape change, but my editor, Avid, is not happy about the time code or dropped frame glitch.

I tested the process by recording the A1 firewire output into an HV30 cam. That is where I discovered the glitch happens with the record function on the new tape.
Bottom line for me is that I cannot import a nNovia backup file that includes a record enable glitch. I can however split the file, and import the two halves, with only the loss of about 1 second of media.

Hope this helps.

So you're saying that when you hit STOP on the record button, that doesn't tell the Sony CF recorder to stop recording? You have to hit record seperately on the CF recorder?

And a bit off topic, based on what you're saying and have done with an HV30, I can link an HV20 to the firewire output and use that to back up the shot that my XH-A1 is missing during tape changes? Pretty cool!

Dave Stern November 11th, 2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Martin (Post 962047)
Dave,

Hope this helps.

Terry, this is very helpful.
- How do you split the file?
- That does sound like something interesting if I can take DV in on my HV20 (I didn't know I could..will have to check this)
- I suppose 1 second of missed content is better than 30 seconds (or what feels like a painful eternity when editing) due to tape change ... is the 1 second due only to the interruption of the record function (or restart), the timecode change or both? Have you found any way to save any other frames from the 1 second ? (I suppose you are talking HDV with long GOP thus more time beween I frames).

thanks for any additional info, it's really helpful for those of us considering the jump to something like this (I suppose I could record without tape and avoid both the timecode and the record enable dropped frames (??), but I'm not sure I could somach it, seems like too much of a chance for other problems to be introduced and possible not have any recording).

THANK YOU!!

Dave Stern November 11th, 2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 962319)
So you're saying that when you hit STOP on the record button, that doesn't tell the Sony CF recorder to stop recording? You have to hit record seperately on the CF recorder?

And a bit off topic, based on what you're saying and have done with an HV30, I can link an HV20 to the firewire output and use that to back up the shot that my XH-A1 is missing during tape changes? Pretty cool!

Randy check the manuals for the camera and recorder (shown in this thread) .. I believe you have to set the syncro on the cam and recorder and the CF recorder will record in sync with your record function on the cam..the CFrecorder manual shows the possibilities, both start and stop when you do, or the opposite (basically) which would help with tape change - when you stop, it starts (incl a pre-buffer), and bridges the gap between multiple tapes.. cool stuff and not unreasonably priced

Terry Martin November 12th, 2008 02:21 AM

Randy,
The firewire output contains both the video stream and control data to the recorder. As Dave suggested, consult your manuals to set the recorder and camera to do what is best for you. In my case, I elected to configure the recorder to run without regard of the camera stop signal.

Dave,
I “split” the m2t files with a freeware program “HDVtoMpeg2” (ver 1.11.89), consult your local google. The program allows m2t input and m2t output if you tell it to. It has the standard timeline to set in and out points, yes it takes a little trial and error, but it works and it is free. Also, it just copies the data… no transcoding.

Also, be advised that I only work in HDV, not DV. HDVtoMpeg2 will not load a DV file, but most common editors will easily work with DV. I haven’t tested DV recording with the A1, but assume it would behave similar to HDV.

I still like recording to tape, and use the hard disk nNovia as backup, just my preference. If the tape runs out at a critical moment, I just calmly load a new one and wait till an appropriate time to resume tape recording.

Terry

Randy Panado November 12th, 2008 04:08 PM

It's in stock now at B&H :) . Too bad no cash to spend on it atm :(.