DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Awesome news for canon users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/116520-awesome-news-canon-users.html)

Monday Isa November 12th, 2008 08:29 PM

Yup it sure is. Just purchased one and should have it Friday, and should be fun to use it Saturday.

Dave Stern November 12th, 2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 962819)
Yup it sure is. Just purchased one and should have it Friday, and should be fun to use it Saturday.

what CF cards did you buy for it? how much?

Jerome Cloninger November 12th, 2008 09:17 PM

Final thoughts???

Hey guys, I'm really excited about this unit as I've stated elsewhere previously. I KNOW these have been covered in this "book" of replies to this thread, but I just want to confirm the following before I buy one of these (and possibly ending up with about 10 for all cams used in business... I wonder if I can get a bulk purchase discount???)

Anyways... final questions:
1- It WILL record 24f/p in HDV mode just fine???

2- How much "real life" can you expect out of the standard battery for continuous recording?

3- You CAN continue to capture footage while changing out a tape without missing a beat???

4- Is there a file size limit (Possibly FAT32 file system?) where it breaks up the files??? ie, can I record say 60 minutes and it be in ONE file? If not, how much of a break is there during seperation of the clips?

5- Has anyone shot with this for a good amount of duration and had any problems with the captured files on the CF card??? ie, corrupted data, etc.

I'm not wanting to completely replace tape... I'll use tape as a backup and hopefully be able to use the card files that will SPEEEED up many of the projects I'll soon be picking up.

Thanks again, and sorry for asking things that was probably already covered, just wanted REAL hard proof by experience (not speculation, hear-say or "manual" knowledge) of these before I buy......

Monday Isa November 12th, 2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern (Post 962820)
what CF cards did you buy for it? how much?

I purchased 3 16GB 133X transcend that many have had good luck with. They were only $35 each from newegg. Looking at the 300X Transcend as well. We'll see after I play with it this weekend.

Kevin Leeyuen November 13th, 2008 02:14 AM

I ordered one when I got the in stock email from B&H and a Lexar 16gb 300x. Does it come with a battery or do you need to purchase a battery and charger separately?

Bruce S. Yarock November 13th, 2008 09:08 AM

I shoot with both a canon A1 and h1 and had a few questions about this unit (Sony HVRMRC1).
1- We edit with Cineform aspect HD to Adobe Premiere CS3. How would importing the m2t files from the unit integrate into our editing workflow?
2- How does the resulting footage compare to the uncompressed files when using that new XDR cf recorder made by Convergent Design?
3- Marty Hudzik brought up an ergonomic question for the H1. I have a gold mount on the back of my H1, which I use to mount an Anton bauer dionic 90, which powers my Frezzi mini fill. I was trying to imagine how I could also mount the sony unit in addition, and i remembered that I had bought an Anton bauer extender plate assy. so that I could mount a Firestore unitafter the battery. I put the additional bracket on, and it looks like it will work ( though I don't have the unit to try).
4- One thing I didn't like about the firestore unit (which I got rid of) was that it connects via firewire. The firewire plug on the H1 is in a terrible location...hopefully it will work better with the Sony. I like the fact that the Convergent design unit uses a bnc plug to communicate.
Any information would be apprecited.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video & Photography

Monday Isa November 14th, 2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 962843)
Hey guys, I'm really excited about this unit as I've stated elsewhere previously. I KNOW these have been covered in this "book" of replies to this thread, but I just want to confirm the following before I buy one of these (and possibly ending up with about 10 for all cams used in business... I wonder if I can get a bulk purchase discount???)

Anyways... final questions:
1- It WILL record 24f/p in HDV mode just fine???

2- How much "real life" can you expect out of the standard battery for continuous recording?

3- You CAN continue to capture footage while changing out a tape without missing a beat???

4- Is there a file size limit (Possibly FAT32 file system?) where it breaks up the files??? ie, can I record say 60 minutes and it be in ONE file? If not, how much of a break is there during seperation of the clips?

5- Has anyone shot with this for a good amount of duration and had any problems with the captured files on the CF card??? ie, corrupted data, etc.

I'm not wanting to completely replace tape... I'll use tape as a backup and hopefully be able to use the card files that will SPEEEED up many of the projects I'll soon be picking up.

Thanks again, and sorry for asking things that was probably already covered, just wanted REAL hard proof by experience (not speculation, hear-say or "manual" knowledge) of these before I buy......

1. Yes
2. N/A for now. I know it says up to 6hrs with the standard battery. If it goes 3hrs I'm happy. Will know sat.
3. N/A
4. Fat32 Limits to 4gb size. It just splits the file with no break. You can connect the two later in your nle
5. N/A

I know others will be able to answer 2, 3, and 5 for you in specific. Take Care

Dave Stern November 15th, 2008 02:51 PM

I think asked already but not answered, does the Sony HVRMRC1 come with a battery? it looks like from the photo of 'box opening' it doesn't (??) ... but the B&H site doesn't say which battery is needed... can anyone say and also example of a charger? all my cameras are canon so I am thinking I'll need sony style battery and charger, correct?
thanks..

Randy Panado November 15th, 2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern (Post 964182)
I think asked already but not answered, does the Sony HVRMRC1 come with a battery? it looks like from the photo of 'box opening' it doesn't (??) ... but the B&H site doesn't say which battery is needed... can anyone say and also example of a charger? all my cameras are canon so I am thinking I'll need sony style battery and charger, correct?
thanks..

There is no battery included. Some use the L series batteries as they are slim and give the CF recorder enough power for a good amount of recording time.

Jerome Cloninger November 15th, 2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 963688)
1. Yes
2. N/A for now. I know it says up to 6hrs with the standard battery. If it goes 3hrs I'm happy. Will know sat.
3. N/A
4. Fat32 Limits to 4gb size. It just splits the file with no break. You can connect the two later in your nle
5. N/A

I know others will be able to answer 2, 3, and 5 for you in specific. Take Care

Thanks Monday... I may soon be ordering the first 2. Knowing the files are broken without missing a beat, that is great news...

Monday Isa November 16th, 2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern (Post 964182)
thanks..

As Randy said you will need to purchase a battery for the recorder and also a charger. It does not come with either. It does work with non sony NP-f570 or bigger type batteries.

Dave Stern November 17th, 2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 964502)
As Randy said you will need to purchase a battery for the recorder and also a charger. It does not come with either. It does work with non sony NP-f570 or bigger type batteries.

so how did it go, did you use it this past weekend? how was it to use? have you checked out the files yet?

Monday Isa November 17th, 2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Stern (Post 964968)
so how did it go, did you use it this past weekend? how was it to use? have you checked out the files yet?

It worked very well. Loaded the footage to the computer quickly and was able to start editing right away. Very good investment I must say. I must admit I was very confused at first with how to use the device. I turned on the memory recorder first then the camera and it would not sync at all. Then I followed Evan's process with having the camera on first without the fire wire port in the cam and then connect it to the recorder and it worked with no problems. I know someone else may make the same mistake. I must say with the small 570 battery attached to the recorder it feels like it weighs easily 2lbs. I Velcro the device to the back of the canon and tried it with the glidecam and I must say it was heavy.

Hubert Duijzer November 19th, 2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 965138)
I Velcro the device to the back of the canon and tried it with the glidecam and I must say it was heavy.

I'm very interested in the MRC1, can you show a picture of it velcro'd to the back of your A1?

Tiffany McMichael November 19th, 2008 07:01 AM

Hi Monday,

Maybe you've posted the reason and I've missed it, but why don't you mount the MRCK1 in the hotshoe? I find it to be quite light and equally balanced there...even with a battery like the F730.

Monday Isa November 19th, 2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer (Post 965796)
I'm very interested in the MRC1, can you show a picture of it velcro'd to the back of your A1?

I'll post it tonight for you when I get back home.

Monday Isa November 19th, 2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany McMichael (Post 965820)
Hi Monday,

Maybe you've posted the reason and I've missed it, but why don't you mount the MRCK1 in the hotshoe? I find it to be quite light and equally balanced there...even with a battery like the F730.

The Problem is I use two wireless mics for my events and when not using that I use a light as well, and only have 1 hot shoe and 1 strap. So it was easier for me to velcro it on the back than the top where it will shifts the balance of the camera for me. I can get use to it but I really like it on the back of the camera instead, and it feels well balanced as well. Not everyone will feel comfortable with putting it back there.

Monday

Randy Panado November 21st, 2008 12:03 AM

Read through the manual and you can't record audio during tape changes. Shucks. Also, it seems you can't start the CF unit to record via the CF unit and then have the camcorder start via the record button on the camcorder to have one recording independently of the other.

I wanted to buy this thing so I could record video AND audio during tape changes. Seems I can't continue recording through a tape change OR I would have to record during the tape change and not during normal operation based on what the manual says.

:(

Even with those shortcomings, it's still amazing and I'll end up buying it anyway as it will help the studio I work with to more easily do same day edits. Maybe those expectations I had were a bit much?

Monday Isa November 21st, 2008 08:55 PM

I've got to admit the cache setting on this device is totally AWESOME!!! It buffer records 7 secs till you hit that record button. Now it's great knowing you can catch that special moment with 7secs buffer record without worrying you missed something. Of course your camera has to be pointed in that direction of the moment taking place. What a nice feature! Sorry for rambling on here but you can tell I'm pretty excited.

Randy Panado November 21st, 2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 967243)
I've got to admit the cache setting on this device is totally AWESOME!!! It buffer records 7 secs till you hit that record button. Now it's great knowing you can catch that special moment with 7secs buffer record without worrying you missed something. Of course your camera has to be pointed in that direction of the moment taking place. What a nice feature! Sorry for rambling on here but you can tell I'm pretty excited.

Yeah, saw that and thought "oOooOOOo!" heh

Does it record the audio as well?

Monday Isa November 21st, 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 967254)
Yeah, saw that and thought "oOooOOOo!" heh

Does it record the audio as well?

Yup! Very nice feature. I'm going to enjoy it on my event for tomorrow.

Kirk Graham December 2nd, 2008 07:43 AM

Is here

I just got my CF recorder and it is a dream! I film outdoor tv and still use SD and this is a drag and drop dream i plug it in and pull the AVI files to hard drive and drag into FCP timeline I bought a 32 GB transend card for it and it gives me 146 min of record time ! almost 2.5 hrs

Ger Griffin December 2nd, 2008 10:40 AM

Im going to order mine very soon.
Where do you see yourself attaching it?
My hotshoe is taken.

Guy Shaddock December 2nd, 2008 09:51 PM

Is there a significant advantage of the CF recorder over a Firestore Hard Drive type device?

Monday Isa December 2nd, 2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock (Post 972021)
Is there a significant advantage of the CF recorder over a Firestore Hard Drive type device?

Yes 1. No moving parts. 2. Swappable memory. 3. I believe it weighs less.

Kirk Graham December 3rd, 2008 07:23 AM

yes!

Yes the CF has its advantages It is smaller and weighs less and no moving parts (hard drive) less power consumption . If you have alot of CF cards you can shoot alot, and not have to dump the HD like on the firestore

its faster to boot up and is faster to work with I have both the MRC1 and the firestore pro hd and man do i like the MRC1 for what i do. i record in SD for broadcast and the avi files are easy to work with in FCP.

I want to get a bracket that will put it out to the side i see B&H has one. so i can use the shoe for lights

Michael Liebergot December 3rd, 2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Graham (Post 972142)
Yes the CF has its advantages It is smaller and weighs less and no moving parts (hard drive) less power consumption . If you have alot of CF cards you can shoot alot, and not have to dump the HD like on the firestore

its faster to boot up and is faster to work with I have both the MRC1 and the firestore pro hd and man do i like the MRC1 for what i do. i record in SD for broadcast and the avi files are easy to work with in FCP.

I want to get a bracket that will put it out to the side i see B&H has one. so i can use the shoe for lights

Kirk, did you ever think about purchasing a handle bracket of some kind and mounting the MRC1 on your cameras handle instead of your hotshoe. By doing this might very well make your camera better balanced than mounting it on the side or up front on your cameras hotshoe. I'm not a hug fan of side camera brackets, because they have always seem to throw off my cameras balance one way or the other.

I have 2 different ones which work great.
HDV Handle Bracket | VFGadgets.com

and

Delvcam | DELVG10801 Handle Bracket for Sony HDV | DELV-G1080-1

I prefer the VFGadgets HDV handle bracket, because it has a smaller form factor. It should be perfect for the MRC1.
If you are running cables of any kind then the DELCAM bracket is better because it has cable management on it.

I use them currently to mount my large Sony HVL-LBP LED light on my cameras handle and this keeps my rig balanced very nicely. I'm looking at picking up a couple of MRC1's and mounting them on my camera handle.

Kirk Graham December 3rd, 2008 09:09 AM

handle bracket

micheal

It looks good the only problem is that it would cover the vtr controls on the XHA1!

kirk

Guy Shaddock December 3rd, 2008 10:29 AM

Kirk

The FSC comes with a cradle to mount the Firestore. I built a simple bracket that uses two velcro straps to hold it on top of the handle of my A1. The FSC comes with a cradle mount. When I have the FSC turned on I use the playback and VTR controls on the FSC. This is one of the major advantages of the FSC and CF recorders. You don't have to rewind tape.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...-canon-a1.html

Kevin Leeyuen December 3rd, 2008 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 971718)
Im going to order mine very soon.
Where do you see yourself attaching it?
My hotshoe is taken.

Velcro to the back

Jose Ortiz December 3rd, 2008 08:56 PM

Any one can upload some test file.
I would like to try a native file in my Premier CS3. I wonder if CS4 or CS3 would handle this native m2t file. Even more if the time code could be retained. I heard that Premier just handle m2t file time code from sony cameras.

Ger Griffin December 4th, 2008 12:23 PM

Thanks kevin, that looks neat, although i think id prefer it on the handle.
I ordered mine today with 2 transcend 133x 32gb cards.
I hope they are good enough.
I just have to get batteries now.

Tania Ratu December 4th, 2008 01:50 PM

I gotta say the way you have the recording unit on the back makes it look like the unit was made for the XHA1.

Very cool.

Mick Jenner December 7th, 2008 03:31 AM

I see lots of you have used this unit with the Canon A1 but is there anybody out there who has used it with the H1? and if so is it the same to set up as the A1?

Regards

Mick

Richard Hunter December 7th, 2008 08:23 AM

Can anybody with a PAL type XH-A1 confirm that the Sony HVRMRC1 works with 25P footage?

Richard

Guy Shaddock December 7th, 2008 11:17 AM

Does the Sony work with Canon's proprietary 30p and 24p frame rates? BTW I am not trying to promote the Firestore but simply am trying to compare the two devices. The Firestore FSC does work with 30, 24p.

Monday Isa December 7th, 2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock (Post 974223)
Does the Sony work with Canon's proprietary 30p and 24p frame rates? BTW I am not trying to promote the Firestore but simply am trying to compare the two devices. The Firestore FSC does work with 30, 24p.

Yes it works flawlessly. No problems at all.

Philip Williams December 7th, 2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock (Post 974223)
Does the Sony work with Canon's proprietary 30p and 24p frame rates?

They're not really proprietary as much as the correct and best way to store progressive frames within MPEG2. Sony's newest cams use the exact same progressive method to store 24P footage now, so they didn't make any special effert per se to support Canon. You could say they caught up :)

Guy Shaddock December 7th, 2008 03:45 PM

Interesting

Is there a Sony deck like the Walkman that will play back Canon now?

Philip Williams December 8th, 2008 12:21 AM

Not sure how many products are compatable, but at least one of Sony's recent professional decks plays back 24P, including Canon's. Maybe someone else can remember the model? It was definitely a pro deck though, nothing like a Walkman.