HVR MRC1 and a 32GB card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1
New Boot

HVR MRC1 and a 32GB card?

Has anyone used a 32 gb card in this yet? Sony doesn't state the use in any of it's documentation. Has anyone tried copying to a stand-a-lone DVD recorder with the docking station?

Thanks
Carl Sobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sobeck View Post
Has anyone used a 32 gb card in this yet? Sony doesn't state the use in any of it's documentation. Has anyone tried copying to a stand-a-lone DVD recorder with the docking station?

Thanks
Possibly because they didn't exist when the manual was compiled. There's no reason why they shouldn't work (or a 64GB when they become available) - it's no different to replacing a 250GB HDD with a 500GB HDD in a PC.

When I bought my digital camera, the maximum capacity on CF cards was about 512 MB, so I bought a 1GB microdrive - there was no mention of them in the camera manual at all and it only mentioned CF cards up to 512MB. I currently use 4GB CF card in it with no issues and the 16GB Sandisk CF card from my MRC1 works in it just fine too (although it would be slight overkill to use it in there as a matter of course). The technology is the same - the only thing changing is the capacity and (AFAIK) there is no current hardware limit (along the lines of the old 8-bit max drive capacity type issues).

Having said that, I haven't actually had the opportunity to try it, so there is an outside chance I *could* be wrong.

I haven't tried copying to a DVD recorder and I'm not sure it would work because I don't think the recorder will recognise the files from the MRC1. It may depend on the particular machine's support of file formats.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sobeck View Post

Thanks
Possibly because they didn't exist when the manual was compiled. There's no reason why they shouldn't work (or a 64GB when they become available) - it's no different to replacing a 250GB HDD with a 500GB HDD in a PC.

When I bought my digital camera, the maximum capacity on CF cards was about 512 MB, so I bought a 1GB microdrive - there was no mention of them in the camera manual at all and it only mentioned CF cards up to 512MB. I currently use 4GB CF card in it with no issues and the 16GB Sandisk CF card from my MRC1 works in it just fine too (although it would be slight overkill to use it in there as a matter of course). The technology is the same - the only thing changing is the capacity and (AFAIK) there is no current hardware limit (along the lines of the old 8-bit max drive capacity type issues).

Having said that, I haven't actually had the opportunity to try it, so there is an outside chance I *could* be wrong.

I haven't tried copying to a DVD recorder and I'm not sure it would work because I don't think the recorder will recognise the files from the MRC1. It may depend on the particular machine's support of file formats.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

32 gb card

I am using a 32 gb transend card everyday and it works great!
Kirk Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM   #5
New Boot

Sandisk Extreme III 32GB

In response to the original post, I have been using 32GB cards and have suffered the following problems - please note! I am not necessarily blaming the cards as this is my first foray into flash capture, but I am merely revealing my experiences:-

1 - Occasional 'dropout' on cards, lasting a frame or 2, despite being told "Use CF cards and leave dropout and all those other tape problems behind!"

2 - Frequently fails to rec to CF card when REC button pressed (despite tape recording OK) - rather awkward when filming dance shows and weddings like I do, having to stop the show and ask them to start again (joke) It is REALLY frustrating

I have posted a new thread on this just now asking what cards and experiences other members have
John Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harding View Post
Occasional 'dropout' on cards, lasting a frame or 2.
I have only experienced problems in the middle of a clip when I was ignoring the fact that the manual says not to format cards in your computer. After I learned that little point and only formatted in the MRC1, those issues disappeared. If you have drop-outs at the end of long clips (4 gig limit because of fat32 file size limitation) try using the Sony utility for stitching long clips together.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
2 - Frequently fails to rec to CF card when REC button pressed (despite tape recording OK) - rather awkward when filming dance shows and weddings like I do, having to stop the show and ask them to start again (joke) It is REALLY frustrating
Are you using the cache mode? If you are starting to record a second clip in this mode while the first one is still being saved, then MRC1 won't start recording the second clip.
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Graham View Post
I am using a 32 gb transend card everyday and it works great!
Yes, me too.
However, I have learned NOT to format the cards, but just to delete the files on it.
Formatting these 32GB cards seems to make them useless! I've had to send them back for replacement as they're not recognised by MRC1K or computer after formatting in MRC1K.
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Archivist for SMECC

what about formatting on the computer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Morreau View Post
Yes, me too.
However, I have learned NOT to format the cards, but just to delete the files on it.
Formatting these 32GB cards seems to make them useless! I've had to send them back for replacement as they're not recognised by MRC1K or computer after formatting in MRC1K.

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Archivist for SMECC

this is worrysome when the sandisk gives a person problems... any solve?

this is worrysome when the sandisk gives a person problems... any solve?

Quote:
In response to the original post, I have been using 32GB cards and have suffered the following problems - please note! I am not necessarily blaming the cards as this is my first foray into flash capture, but I am merely revealing my experiences:-

1 - Occasional 'dropout' on cards, lasting a frame or 2, despite being told "Use CF cards and leave dropout and all those other tape problems behind!"

I have posted a new thread on this just now asking what cards and experiences other members have

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
When I first started using the MRC1, I had numerous problems that seemed to be related to the cards. At that time, I was always formatting my cards in my computer. When I discussed my problems on this forum, someone pointed out to me that the manual says to format only in the MRC1. When I quit formatting in the computer my problems decreased a lot. However, I am now having other problems with my MRC1. Problems that have absolutely nothing to do with cards. So I am going to have to send it back to Sony for out of warranty service. Oh joy.....
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
(snipped) If you have drop-outs at the end of long clips (4 gig limit because of fat32 file size limitation) try using the Sony utility for stitching long clips together.
This bothers me - just as I was getting ready to buy three MRC1s. I make wedding video programmes and see the move to tapeless recording as inevitable. However, whilst I can I want to retain and use the option of recording a backup to tape simultaneously.

Because we also multicam edit the three cameras the FAT32 limit on file size is a real bugbear. May I ask a couple of question from MRC1 users here? Does Sony guarantee that there is not even a frame drop between consecutive files? How long does it take for Sony's stitching software to work? Presumably it's installed on the host computer?

I wish I was clever enough to understand why manufacturers insist on using FAT32 and not NTFS. Trusting invaluable video recordings to a system even basic PC's OS have dropped seems a serious retrograde step.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
I wish I was clever enough to understand why manufacturers insist on using FAT32 and not NTFS. Trusting invaluable video recordings to a system even basic PC's OS have dropped seems a serious retrograde step.
I started a thread on this very question a while ago. It generated lots of really good, if unsatisfying, answers. Do a keyword search or just scroll back through the thread titles and you'll find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
However, whilst I can I want to retain and use the option of recording a backup to tape simultaneously.
You can, no problem. Just be aware that if you change tapes while you are recording on the MRC, you'll get an audio dropout. Obviously no problem if you are paused or are recording sound to an external device independent of the cam.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Philip,

You download the Sony utility onto your hard drive and use this to transfer clips from the MRC1K into where you want to save them. The files that are over the 4gb limit (about 20mins) are "stitched together into one file. I've just checked a dance show I did using the MRC1K and it joined two files together without any audio glitch.

It's easy to check. When you line up your clips on the timeline, use the wav files to line them up at the beginning and then go to the very end of the clips and see if they're still lined up. If they are, great, if not just go backwards until you find where the wav files don't line up, cut the clip and re-align it. I do this when using tape as well, as sometimes there is a drop out in the picture we film in HD so it can be anywhere up to a second long sometimes, depending on whereabouts in the GOP the drop out has occurred. It's more difficult trying the find the "glitch"/drop out with pictures, much easier using the wav files.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #15
New Boot

I just got two Kingston 32GB 133X CF cards today. Both were usable at first, but I thought the workflow was to format them on the MRU itself, so I did. In doing so it gets stuck at "FORMAT" and even when left alone for 30 mins, it doesn't stop. It just hangs. I have to disconnect the battery to shut it off... it won't even turn off on its own.

I can format them on my Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard) as DOS but then the MRU says "FORMAT ERROR" shortly after I turn it on.

Any suggestions on how to properly format these so the MRU will accept my cards?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders