One long clip from 16gb CF-card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Major Player

One long clip from 16gb CF-card

I've been reading horrifying stories about long clips (longer dan 4gb worth of card space) recorded on CF-cards, that are automatically devided into 4 gb-parts when logging & transferring. As I'm going to film a pop-group gig soon, with 5 camera's (2 of which borrowed or rented), I want to sychronise them with a clap in the beginning and keep all the cams rolling during the whole concert, which will last about an hour. So I did a test yesterday and kept my Z7 running for an hour. To my joy, this long clip (13 gb) logged and transferred to FCP as... one clip. No divisons whatsoever.

What am I missing here, or are the horror stories something from the past?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I am a PC user and have used the Sony utilty program with no problems. But last weekend, I used my Z7 with the MRC1 to shoot for someone else. He is a FCP guy. Tonight, he downloaded the software that allows FCP to use .M2T and convert them to something usable in a Mac. It downloaded a 60+ minute wedding ceremony as one clip. Looked great and it was easy as could be apparently. The only thing that confused us for a while was that the card said it contained 36 M2T clips. But FCP showed it had only imported 34 clips.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Greg, I think the reason it does that is it appears sometimes you have multiple clips with the same number. For example, it may show 2 clips with 0012. The Sony program turns that into 1 clip so that would explain the missing clip.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Trustee

Luc, I think the horror stories started with people who were sceptical that sequential files could be created without losing a frame. I think we forgot that there some onboard cache in the MRCs, but that's just a guess.

We use three MRCs in multicam set up for weddings and haven't had a problem with any stitched files.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders