Replacing the hard drive in a DR60? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old May 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Replacing the hard drive in a DR60?

Did a search but couldn't find any definitive info; has anyone tried replacing the hard drive in a DR60 with a larger capacity?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I was tempted too, but the problem with these 1.8" drives is they come is several flavor for the connector. So i have first to dismantle mine before ordering the right drive.

More than using a larger drive, i think the best upgrade you can do is to replace the mechanical harddisk by a SSD disk. I think it should be easy to do if you are ok with small screws, fragile flat cables, and got a lot patience.
For instance i a not using my drive too much (not at all in fact) so i have not planned further action, but if you got the info, i could jump in the wagon.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2022, 06:58 PM   #3
Tourist

Re: Replacing the hard drive in a DR60?

I replaced hdd in HVR-DR60 with this ssd drive: 64GB KingSpec 1.8-inch ZIF 40-pin SSD Solid State Disk SMI Controller (MLC)

after replacing hdd and turning DR60 ON there will be an error message but simply formatting ssd in DR60 fixes it.

I tried ssd with higher capacity but it is being formatted to 64GB anyway.

So far it is working fine and whole unit became also significantly lighter.
Mark Jackobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 12:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You are replying to a 13 year old thread :) I used the dr60 with my canon xh-a1 after experiencing issues with severe dropouts on a mini-dv cassette, worked great and was very reliable but my main issue was it's startup time which if I recall right was around 13 second, no problem if you are shooting a stage performance but I used it at weddings meaning you had to anticipate starting the recorder in time to capture unannouncent moments and you couldn't let the recorder run all day long. How is the startup time now with the SSD?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 11:03 AM   #5
Tourist

Yes, I know but it took some time to find a right ssd :)

I'm using it with XH A1s - I just did a few tests. I recorded digital clock. I was pressing record button on 00 seconds.

Few recording showed 00, one 01 - so delay maybe less than a second.

settings on HVR-DR60

i. link mode - AUTO

camlink sel - SYNCHRO

cache rec - OFF

TC Format - AUTO

DV file type - RAW DV

sleep mode - OFF
Mark Jackobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 11:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

That's pretty cool :) wish I had that option back then, would have made my life a lot easier.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2022, 07:18 PM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

LOL. 13 year old thread. There I was reading this and thinking to myself "why would anyone still be recording in HDV format?"

We are so spoilt with what equipment we have these days.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders