Tape started but MRC1 didn't at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old January 28th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #1
Trustee

Tape started but MRC1 didn't

My wife and I recently completed our first MRC1 wedding shoot - taking the opportunity to run tape in sync ie with the camlinks on (3 z1+MRC1s).

On reviewing the edit (Liquid 7.2) I discover that one interview, a single continuous shot of about 8 minutes), has failed to be transferred from the MRC1 card. The previous shot has and so has the following. All three were recorded in the same location with the same tripod mounted setup.

Liquid has logged the clip before 0082 and the one following 0083 thus omitting the "missing" clip completely.

Has anyone had such an occurrence? The clip is in the middle of the card/tape and since it was our first shoot with the MRC1s we were taking special care to make sure we followed procedure.

The only thing I can't check (since I have to install a new Firewire 800 card to run the reader) is to check the actual CF card but I wonder if anyone's ever had such a happening? My instinct is to assume operator error but I also like a quiet home life so I'm loath to point a finger in haste.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Philip, can you not replay the CF card from the MCR1 back with your Z1 viewfinder, to check and see whether it has actually been recorded or not?

If the clip is on the card, how did you select the clips for transfer, singularly (is that a word, I mean one at a time) or did you use select all. Could you have missed it. It seems weird that the clips on either side have loaded on to the computer and missed the one in the middle.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If the clip is on the card and it recorded properly...

Are you using the Sony utility to transfer to PC and then importing into Avid? That's the recommended way.

If the clip is not on the card, is it possible someone hit the CamLink button on the unit, and then hit it again? Seems unlikely. If there was a card failure you likely would have had a blinking red light, and it seems unlikely that it would fail and then heal for the following clip. But I suppose anything is possible.
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Trustee

To Peter and Adam, my apologies for not replying - I'm concluding an edit and haven't time to make the tests you suggest. As soon as I can I will. Many thanks for your suggestions and understanding.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Go Cycle

It is possible that you shut down the camera while it was still buffering? That will do it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders