Can I use MRC1 to copy from recorded tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old April 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I use MRC1 to copy from recorded tape

I have a tape of content that I need to get onto a CF card. Can I somehow play the tape in my Sony FX1 and record it with our MRC1?

Thanks!

Bill
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't see why not. Not mentioned specifically in the manual but should be easy enough to try...
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Major Player

The answer is yes. I do it all the time. Just put your camera in VTR mode and play the tape, press the two record buttons to begin recording on the unit and stop when you are finished.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sweet, I never thought it would work that way, great. I was wondering how to get all my past Mini-DV into storage without going through video capture on every tape.

Thanx, KO.
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Do you have trouble with capturing? Or a reason why you don't want to?

Only thing that I can think of is that if you have two Mini-DV cameras & only one camera, you can be dumping 2 tapes at once.

Otherwise I would think it is more work to go tape to CF, then CF to hard drive; than just going tape to hard drive.
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Sometimes, using an MRC is just more convenient.

Here are a couple of recent examples for me.

In the middle of my editing a large dance recital, several other customers came in with mini-DV & 8mm tapes they wanted to have combined onto single DVDs. (One wanted a DVD for his high school re-union; the other customer wanted DVD copies of the birth of a son -- apparently, it was a long labor because it spanned several tapes.) Using the MRC set-up, I could feed the new customers' tapes to files without interrupting the first project and then have the computer feed the CF files through Encore to make DVD image files when I was away from the computer (say, for meals or asleep at night.)

Here's another example. I went to a lawyer's office to video a deposition. The lawyer's client had some videotape for the case. They needed to make copies on DVD for the case. Since I already had a second camera with an MRC unit with me (my back-up camera), I could copy the video without taking it from the office and without needing to bring and set-up a laptop with an external 7200 rpm hard drive.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Major Player

That sounds like using the right tool for the job. These are much smaller than a laptop & CF cards are more durable than a hard drive. I'm glad whenever I see someone focusing on work flow more than the next coolest new gadget / trend.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders