Kingston 16 GB Ultimate 266x cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old August 15th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Kingston 16 GB Ultimate 266x cards

I just bought two Kingston Ultimate 16GB 266x Compact Flash cards for a good price - £21 each - to use in my Sony Z7, but when I format them in the MRC1K recorder there is a format error warning with both cards - A:12:02 I think.

If I use them in my Nikon D3 stills camera initially the camera throws up a 'CHA' error which relates to the CF card, but if I format them again they seem to work OK in the camera.

Does anyone have any experiences like this?
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Kingston 16 GB Ultimate 266x cards

Just to update: I received two identical replacement Kingston cards, but these have the same error.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd be worried if this was your only recording medium, but the Z7 can record a backup to HDV tape at the same time, yes? Even so, things ain't right. You've not had this warning with other cards? If so I'd forget the saving and go back to Transcend, Sandick, whatever.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Major Player

I've had the camera for two years now and have used slower Kingston cards perfectly well - I've got a couple of 133x Kingstons which are fine.

I also use a couple of Sandisk, a Hama 32Gb 200x card and a 'MyMemory' branded 16GB card without any problems.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Matt

I purchased a trio of Kingston Cards about 16 months ago and they exhibited the same problem you are describing. I sent them back to Kingston and they replaced them and the problem remained. It wasn't until the third set arrived that the problem was resolved. I think it had something to do with the controller on the card not being compatible. I don't know if that affected the IO speed but they have been fine ever since. I will try to find my notes on the experience along with the codes from the cards that showed the relative info so you can compare. If you haven't already resolved this ( I am only seeing this many weeks after your post) ask them to send you cards with another controller.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders