Sony HVR-DR60 Hard Drive Unit - suggestions/advice needed! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old December 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony HVR-DR60 Hard Drive Unit - suggestions/advice needed!

While this is not yet available and reviews are probably scarce to non-existent, I'm posting this in hopes that someone may know the following...

(I use Nnovia drives for hard drive capture but this Sony drive would ultimately replace what I use now, and the format that the Sony drives is somewhat different.)

The Sony drive has two options:
>when filming SD, it captures avi files, which are obviously compatible with just about any editing software
>when filming HDV, it captures m2t files, which are supposedly supported by Vegas, but does anyone know if this is a propretary format such that it will be unsupported for any given time?

I want to film in HDV, not SD.

I edit with Adobe software (Premiere 2.0) and I need a HDV-based HD recorder for a huge event in January, so I can't spend too much time finding something else as a temporary solution only to get one of these aftewards, and I do not want Firestore or CitiDisk. In addition, the Sony drive is smaller, more functional and practical with what I need it for so I really don't know what to think at this point.

Does anyone know if these files are supported by Adobe's software, or know anything more specific to this file type, or any other suggestions?

The drive is supposedly going to be available the end of December through beginning of January and I need this starting January 13th for a 9-day shoot (will need three of them, actually). Also, on the basis of getting a V1U I can get a slight discount when getting the cameras and drives together.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #2

The file type is .m2t, the type of file isn't the problem; it's whether Premiere can manage the 24p extraction, and the file tree system. Currently it cannot. Only Sony Vegas currently can manage the file tree extraction, but the files come across intact in Premiere, they're just not linked.
In other words, Premiere works with the files fine, but it can't assemble them in order. And can't handle the pulldown for HDV (yet) shot at 24p.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh, ok. I really have no need for 24p at this time and instead need it for dumping the captured files into Premiere (60i) and going from there. Other than the file format, all else is equal with what I do.

When you mention that it can't assemble the files in order, what does that mean? Is that only for 24p video or any format?
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Marshall, Not sure this could help you but when the time comes you could
download the trial of Vegas and use it, I think its 30 days, and perhaps the footage output could be brought into Adobe to do what you needed???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'll be curious to see how Avid Liquid handles output from the DR60. I've got my eye on buying one as soon as I know a bit more.

What I can say now is that the footage captured from my HC3 through Avid saves to a file with a .m2t extention. I have no idea if its the same as what is generated with the DR60 but it sounds promising.

Chris
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Major Player

SD is avi, HDV is m2t. I think it's now more of an issue of software support as there are many traits for each. It's a shame there are so many variables with this format, unlike (sort of) SD. (And still no TRUE way of delivery :) )
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders