DVCAM player (DSR-11) not recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems
All tape-based Sony camcorders including the HVR-Z7, Z5, S270, HDR-FX1000, etc.

Old September 4th, 2023, 07:14 PM   #1
New Boot

DVCAM player (DSR-11) not recording

Hello!

I've recently acquired a DSR-11 DVCAM player, it was in a box labeled "Weird, obsolete, and/or free to go home" and I have an appreciation for tech that can be described as such. Well, I found that some tapes are still being manufactured, and I bought one online, and when attempting to record with it, the red warning light kept flashing after a few seconds. I then ordered a cleaning tape, since who knows how long it had been sitting unused. The cleaning tape ran fine, I made sure to follow the instructions which were to only run it for a short amount of time. No warning light. I tried the first tape again, and the warning light was still coming on. So, I bought a different kind of tape, the first one said it was compatible but it was an HD tape. The second (not including the cleaning tape) was standard definition. No red warning light, but also still not recording.

I was searching online to troubleshoot, and came across this forum. I figured I'd sign up in the hopes that maybe someone has advice.
Ace Matkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2023, 08:16 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: DVCAM player (DSR-11) not recording

Might be good to have this unit connected to a TV or similar monitor when operating it. It's possible that you've got a repeated head clog, but it's hard to remember back that far. Not even sure it's a head clog situation.

Here's a link to the manual for the device: https://cinequipt.com/cms-files/sony-dsr-11-manual.pdf

Try playing something back with a known good tape that has worked elsewhere. Also, both standard and HD tapes will work in the deck. (The HD versions were merely better quality tape media so you had less chance of a dropout when recording.)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2023, 10:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Longshot Ace, and welcome. The record tabs in the tape housings are not missing?

Cheers.
Old September 5th, 2023, 11:01 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Might be good to have this unit connected to a TV or similar monitor when operating it. It's possible that you've got a repeated head clog, but it's hard to remember back that far. Not even sure it's a head clog situation.

Here's a link to the manual for the device: https://cinequipt.com/cms-files/sony-dsr-11-manual.pdf

Try playing something back with a known good tape that has worked elsewhere. Also, both standard and HD tapes will work in the deck. (The HD versions were merely better quality tape media so you had less chance of a dropout when recording.)

Andrew
I should mention, it is in fact connected to a TV. I've found the manual before but it didn't quite answer my question. Idk if I can get a good tape. How could one fix a repeated head clog?
Old September 5th, 2023, 11:04 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Longshot Ace, and welcome. The record tabs in the tape housings are not missing?

Cheers.

Brand new tapes, unless you mean something in the player. If it's something I'd need to open up the machine to check, I'm not sure I'd know what to look for.
Old September 5th, 2023, 07:35 PM   #6

Back in the day we would discuss (right here) whether we would use a tape a second time or not, such was the desire to absolutely avoid drop outs from something not reading back properly. You'd always use a brand new tape for something important.

Ahh, those were the days. Solid state recording is nowhere near as exciting, thank goodness.

Andrew
Old September 5th, 2023, 08:25 PM   #7
New Boot

Some things I've done today to try and troubleshoot:

Cleaned the heads with a cotton swab. I didn't have isopropyl alcohol, but I got some muck up with dry swabs.
Actually, before I did that, I carefully opened the player to try and get easier access to the heads, and to see if I could visually tell if something was wrong inside. I could not. Closed it all up, then swabbed.

Ran the cleaning tape again.

Messed with some settings on the thing I am inputting into the player.

Still not recording.
Old September 5th, 2023, 08:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ace, maybe time to take it into a repair shop, knowing the folks who know about magnetic recording technology are disappearing. You might look around for an older shop.

Cheers.
Old September 7th, 2023, 04:20 AM   #9
Inner Circle

First thing - cleaning with tapes is a get you out of trouble if all else fails solution, because they rarely work, and the muck from the tape you scrape off with each platy or record cycle goes into the slots either side of the head. These need cleaning with IPA. dry cleaning just makes them shiny. Each cleaning cycle abrades the heads too, so once they're too low, the unit is no longer usable, and repairs far too difficult as you need test gear, for people to generally do.

Somebody mentioned the tabs in the cassette = check these are in place or record does not engage.

I still have 2 here. One needs new heads, the other must be getting close - so it's for when somebody brings me a vital tape to stick onto an SD card or stick.Spending ANY money on it is pointless now I'm afraid.
Attached Thumbnails
DVCAM player (DSR-11) not recording-dsr-11s.jpg  
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2023, 04:27 AM   #10

Ace, does the manual have anything definitive to say about what the flashing of the red warning light would be? Sometimes it could be a humidity issue and you have to keep the tape deck on for a while. Guessing the manual might have something to say about it.

Andrew
Old September 7th, 2023, 10:37 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
First thing - cleaning with tapes is a get you out of trouble if all else fails solution, because they rarely work, and the muck from the tape you scrape off with each platy or record cycle goes into the slots either side of the head. These need cleaning with IPA. dry cleaning just makes them shiny. Each cleaning cycle abrades the heads too, so once they're too low, the unit is no longer usable, and repairs far too difficult as you need test gear, for people to generally do.

Somebody mentioned the tabs in the cassette = check these are in place or record does not engage.

I still have 2 here. One needs new heads, the other must be getting close - so it's for when somebody brings me a vital tape to stick onto an SD card or stick.Spending ANY money on it is pointless now I'm afraid.
:(
I'm still willing to try. I'm stubborn. And yes, brand new tapes, and the record tabs are fine and slid over to record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Ace, does the manual have anything definitive to say about what the flashing of the red warning light would be? Sometimes it could be a humidity issue and you have to keep the tape deck on for a while. Guessing the manual might have something to say about it.

Andrew
Yes, it says it's humidity and to leave it running for a really long time. The thing is, I tried that, and it didn't help, and it only flashes with the HD tape.
Old September 8th, 2023, 02:28 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Then get the alcohol out and clean the heads - rotary and linear. Lint free cloth, side to side NEVER up and down, they fall out. They have no strength at all in the vertical plane. Tape tension on these is critical, so watch the way it travels very carefully. I suspect the heads have gone, and this is what is triggering the red warning light - which comes on for a load of fault reasons - poor tension, no lock etc etc.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems