24F editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24F editing

Hi folks,

I'm a bit puzzled over the Cineframe/frame mode of my HC1. Obviously 24F is not the same as 24P, but in terms of editing, how should it be handled? Just straight capture, or do I need to do any conversion to improve how it looks?

I'd be using Pinnacle Liquid 7, if it matters.
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Major Player

The Cinema Mode isn't 24f or 24p, just an effect that "looks like 24p". You can edit on a regular 60i timeline.
This other thread should have some interesting information for you on the Cinema Effect.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...+cinema+effect
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
The Cinema Mode isn't 24f or 24p, just an effect that "looks like 24p". You can edit on a regular 60i timeline.
This other thread should have some interesting information for you on the Cinema Effect.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...+cinema+effect
Thanks Chris. I'm afraid that after reading that thread I'm still not entirely sure. In that thread I came across comments such as

"The Cinema Effect mode has progressive frames, plain and simple."

and

"Actually there is the the Cinema Effect mode which kind of looks like garbage but if you can find a way to remove the pulldown with software then you will have progressive images. The motion is kind of jerky due to the faked way of creating those 24p frames plus the camera uses a shutter speed of 125 with the Cinema Effect mode which makes it even jerkier. Maybe it will look good enough for you."

However, if I'm read correctly, the Cinema mode of the HC1 is different from Cineframe24 mode of other cameras and, thus, the comments regarding 24p, progressive, and pull-down don't really apply to to the HC1?

I've been experimenting with the Cinema mode today and think I have found a reason not to use it - I cannot lock the exposure. That thread you pointed me to seems to confirm this in that in Cinema mode, manual exposure is disabled.
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series