How much tape is Left? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Major Player

How much tape is Left?

I'm on HDR HC3.
Is there an easy way to know how much tape you have left?

Unfortunately, looking at the tape is tough as it's so dark in the window.

Yesterday, I saw a small rectangle on bottom of display with - and + sign, but was not sure what that was for. thanks.
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i find mini dv tapes are around 1 hour 2 minutes 20 to 25 seconds usualy,the viewfinder tells what tape has been used unless there is a unrecorded break in it.
Chris Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Wrangler

I believe most Sony cameras have a menu option that controls whether the time remaining is displayed. Sorry, it's not something I've used but have noticed a "time remaining" item on the menu. If you try to play a tape past the recorded section the timecode display should change to a number which represents how many minutes into the tape you are, so that should be one way to answer your question. Just fast forward past the end of what you've recorded.

As you get near the end of the tape (perhaps around 57 minutes?) you should also get a flashing tape icon in the viewfinder.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
I'm on HDR HC3.
Is there an easy way to know how much tape you have left?
It should simply show you this information in the LCD screen at top right corner, just below the time elapsed. If it doesnt, then thats the first sony cam i know of that doesnt do that..
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Of course it's right there. Hard to miss it, in fact. But if the REMAINING setting is in auto mode, it only shows up when you switch the camera on or press pause / play for a few seconds. Set it to ON.

Page 69 of your manual.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys!
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series