A 800 pound gorilla question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 16th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Major Player

A 800 pound gorilla question?

Hi everybody,

I don't normally come to this board - as I am a Panasonic HVX202 guy. But - a friend have a Sony HDR-HC1 which he records as HD. I checked the specs - and when the Sony is recording in HD, it is in MPEG-2.

I have a Sony DSR25 (DV/DVCAM tape deck) that is only for SD.

Here comes the 800 pound question ... is there any way to read the tape short of purchasing a cheap Sony HDR video camera (just to read that tape)? And what is the cheapest Sony or compatible HDR video camera today? I am not interested in using the camera for filming - just as a grunt work horse for playing back a HDV tape.

Thank you,
TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

HDV you will need an HDV deck or camera for playback.

Cheapest is probably a used HC3 or find a HC5 on closeout. HC7 and the upcoming HC9 are better cams, but more expensive - all you really want is the deck and electronics for playback anyway.

Almost forgot, I was able to play back Sony HDV in a Canon HV20 too.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just bought an HC3 off eBay in excellent condition for under $584. There is also the HV10 which runs around the same price.
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I got a Sony tape deck - GV HD 700E. Don't forget a lot of equipment in eBAY are NTSC only ... and I am working in PAL land. Tape deck working perfectly now.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series