Mounting HC7 inside vehicle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting HC7 inside vehicle?

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I scanned the area dedicated to the HC camcorders and didn't see anything though.

I would like to hear from someone who has mounted a HC7 inside of a vehicle via a suction mount (to windscreen). I would like to know what kind of results I can expect from doing this? I would like to record the road and/or the driver of a vehicle for one of my upcoming projects.

As far as settings go, what should I consider?
1.)Stabilizer on or off?
2.)Filters?
3.)I heard someone mention on this forum that they had issues with Canon HV20 when mounting it inside of a vehicle. I think it had something to do with the auto slow shutter (or is it rolling shutter, not sure) but I am speaking under correction regarding this. If this is correct would it also apply to the HC7?

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Car shooting with a HC7

Hi, may I suggest maybe try searching around in the Support Your Local Camera section as there are sub sections devoted to different kinds of mountings/supports, shooting from aeroplanes and choppers (and no doubt cars!) that might be of some help. Good luck!
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You may have to experiment a bit to see how the stabilizer deals with the motion - generally the HC7 stabilization is much better than that of the HV20.

rolling shutter (I agree with another poster that "sequential shutter" might be a better term). is an issue only with very violent up/down motion from what I've seen (ignoring the "tilt/leaning" issue, which probably won't be picked up by most. If you're off roading, it's probably a problem, otherwise, probably not that big a deal.

Don't know what filters would be needed, unless you are trying to shoot through glass with glare, in which case a polarizer makes sense to reduce glare.

Typically you will need a Wide Angle lens if you're shooting interiors, and a WA will help with smoothing out motion significantly. Just make sure your mount is able to handle the whole weight of the rig.

I tossed a CX7 on the dash of my car out of curiousity - didn't see any major RS or stability issues on a relatively smooth highway, handheld was an entirely different matter as it was hard to hold steady, A mount should absorb some of the vibration and tend to keep the cam in motion sync with the vehicle, so with some experimentation you should be OK!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Andy and Dave.

I agree Dave, I need to experiment to get to where I want. I am just doing a bit of homework before I start splashing out the cash on the equipment.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I happened to have a rubber sticky pad for my radar detector just sitting there on the dash, tha's how I tested, and with the WA I thought the video looked pretty decent (it was a nighttime shot no less...).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series