My HVR-A1U goes for warranty work?!?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My HVR-A1U goes for warranty work?!?!

I am thouroughly disappointed. Since I am 15 years old and bought my first rack mountable stereo system, I have NEVER had any of my electronic purchases needing any type of repair. This streak was broken today. I fired up my A1U, checked everything out and cleaned the outside like I do weekly. Normally, I don't ckeck out "Nightvision Mode" but did today...low and behold, the infrared beams no longer work. My A1U is still under warranty, and will have to be shipped to Sony for repair. After calling Henry's, (canadian camera shop where I purchased it), I was told that 4-6 weeks would be needed for the repair. This really sucks, as I have two children under 19 months old that I pretty much film daily.

While I am here, can anyone who has an A1U tell me if my hours on this camera are high, considering I bought it April 24th, 2007:

Operation - 7x10
Drum Run - 6x10
Tape Run - 4x10
Threading - 11x10
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think there is a menu item for turning the supernightshot light on and off... might check that first?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Holy good God man...you just saved me weeks of being cameraless.

I flew by that setting numerous times, thinking it was for a "level" of nightshot, ie, the camera has "Super NS", so I just assumed "NS LIGHT" meant "lite"...lol

Thanks so much Dave!
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Trustee

The streak lives. :-)
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Repair link

Should it need repair, don't go to the dealer. My understanding is the A1U is a commercial version, so handled by the commercial division. Supposedly the turnaround is pretty quick as they know people who own these things make their living from them. Happily, I've not had to use it.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../support.shtml

Link says North America, hopefully no one reading this will have to use it.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series