Photos of My Sony HC9 with Accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Photos of My Sony HC9 with Accessories

I've mounted a Sony VCL-DH1758 1.7X telextender on my new HC9 with a 37mm to 58mm step-up ring I got from B&H. It works very well and produces sharp images with no blurring near the edges, nor any color-fringing (that I can see). This telex is primarily intended for use on digital still cameras and has good quality for the fairly low price. It causes vignetting only in the bottom 30% of the zoom range on the HC9 in 16:9 Video mode and in 38% of the range in the 4:3 Photo mode.

The mike is a stereo Sony ECM-MS907. It's a good match for this camcorder and is fairly sensitive with a full sound range. It gives medium long-distance pickup. It's mounted on a hotshoe mike adaptor I made, that has a narrow, notched foot and a locking thumbscrew. These adaptors are hard to find from a commercial source and are needed for using self-powered, plug-in mikes on these small, hotshoe camcorders. In the 2nd picture, the mike is on an extended arm I made from Kevlar fiber and epoxy resin. Kevlar can block most unwanted sound and vibrations from reaching the mike, that would pass through other materials. I will also mount two long XLR shotgun mikes on a stereo crossbar attached to this arm. It is fastened to the bottom of the shoulder-mount and puts no weight on the camcorder.

The butterfly hood was made with fiberglass, using a yogurt container as a molding form. It slips tightly over the outside of the telex, which has no outer mounting threads.

I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the HC9 after three days of practice. With my shoulder-mount and telextenders, I hope to catch some good wildlife shots, using both video and still photo modes. On some occasions, I will put my Raynox 2.2X telex on the HC9. This camcorder's deep lens threads seem able to support the DH1758 well and the Raynox weighs only 1 oz. more, at 9.5 oz. The HC9 feels like a solid brick in my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of My Sony HC9 with Accessories-img_6517.jpg   Photos of My Sony HC9 with Accessories-img_6546.jpg  

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; March 16th, 2008 at 06:56 AM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Verrrrrry nice set up. And it's impressive that you did a lot of it yourself. Kevlar and yoghurt inspiration? Damn, I wish I hadn't slept through MY technical craft classes at school now.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series