Lanc controller at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Lanc controller

Can anyone recommend a good Lanc controller for use with the Sony HC1?
Michael Krawchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

LANC Controller for HC1

I have the HVR-A1U and I am very happy with the LANC controller from Manfrotto, the 523Pro. It's not cheap but works extremely well and fits nicely on my 503 head.
Peter Greis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Likewise I often use the entry level Manfrotto controller (forgot the code but it's about 115-120 Quid in the UK) on a HC1, typically when it's on a Fig Rig or Tripod. Superb super slow zooms are possible!
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Major Player

I also have the Manfrotto 523 Pro. Works very well.
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm sure this is probably the cheaper option of what's been recommended, but I got a Sony VCT870RM a little over a year ago from Amazon (not sure if we're allowed to write out prices paid here). I've found it to be pretty good, although recently, the little plastic lever thing you pull to get your camera off broke so I have to grab the broken part and put a little muscle into twisting so I can pop my camera off.

Not sure if I would recommend it because i'm not so familiar with tripods, but it's gotten the job done for me.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for a full function controller that is less expensive than the Manfrotto. I might be looking for something that doesn't exist, and am amazed at the lack of selection. there really isn't that many to choose from. and compatability is another issue. I found this one while looking, and it has what I'm looking for in a controller. http://www.adorama.com/TGRCTR.html
Does anyone have experience with this unit?
Michael Krawchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Major Player

This looks identical to the one I've been using under another brand name. It worked fine for about four years, but has now decided to call it a day. The "power" and "photo" buttons didn't seem to work with a Canon XM2 (GL2) and I didn't try them with the Sony A1. I'd happily get another one (though I'd like an instant autofocus button for the Canon XH A1) but they don't seem to be available here in the UK any more.

Another feature I'd like to see on a LANC is an LED light to show when the camera is recording, so I think I'm going to have to go for a more expensive one this time.
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Was using VCT870RM with Sony HC1 - now have XH-A1

I had been using my VCT870RM with my Sony HC1 for the past year and a half. Now I own a Canon XH-A1 and wouldn't mind using my VCT870RM with my Canon. However, there will be days when I want to take both cameras to certain recordings (especially if I can get the art of matching the XH-A1 with the HC1 down - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...ny-hc1-a1.html ) so I think I should get another tripod. I'm wondering if I should just try and find another VCT870RM, or would there be a better lanc controller tripod purchase I should make?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Major Player

lan-c

zoe bebob dvxl -- it can be used on just about any camcorder that has lan-c.
tactile feel is good, I can teach a high school student to do smooth zooms in just a few minutes. support is good too.
epensive, but likely you won't have to ever buy another one.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series