Help me make a good decision new hc-5 or used hc1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help me make a good decision new hc-5 or used hc1

Hello
my sony Hvr-A1u is gone for repair(tape stuck)
And I got to buy a camera for this friday.I just want a camera that will serve as tape deck and for use untill the A1U come back from repair.

I can buy a new HC-5 for $475 or a used HC-1 for $450
with the HC-1 I can use my other batteries, audio and shutter control,mic in,headphone in

with HC-5 brand new camera(smell good) warranty for 1 year,and upper ejection tape.
but have to buy also extra battery.

what would you choose?
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

HC1 any day of the week - far better camera
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

HC1!!!! Or if you can't get one (for others in a similar dilema, as it's long discontinued) a HC7 or the brand new HC9 - essentially just a tweaked upgrade of the HC7. HC3 and HC5's were not as good for several reasons as latest Sony HC Series consumer HDV cams (from what I've read on here over the last 9 months or so)....But yes, the HC1 is a great little HDV cam - just make sure the sun's out (but you know that already with your A1 as it's essentially the same inside.)

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 18th, 2008 at 04:56 AM. Reason: typos
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

And if you don't grab that HC1 for $450, please send it my way!!! I don't know you, but if you were my friend I'd slap you if you didn't grab it! Really... unless I grabbed it first.

You probably won't get an HC7/9 for anywhere close to that money either. They are "better" in some respects, but the HC1 is no slouch, as you already know. For $450, it's a no-brainer, RUN, don't walk. And as noted, you don't have to buy new accessories!

The HC5 is more or less an HC3 - lower resolution sensor, fewer features, "new" isn't necessarily "better" and this is one of those times. Don't get me wrong, I used an HC3 and liked the small form factor, but the affair ended when I put the video side by side with the HC1 and the HC7...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Glad to hear so much positive feedback on the HC1. I've owned this fine camera since Spring 2006. I plan to get an XH-A1 soon, but still plan to keep using my HC1.
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you all for the postivitive review about hc1
But I had to go for the Hc-5 because the hc-1 was in bad shape and no warranty.
And since the A1u are coming down in price I will probably get a second A1u in the fall.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series