Help - Looking for a small camcorder (for HC9) rainjacket... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help - Looking for a small camcorder (for HC9) rainjacket...

Does anyone know where I can get a rain jacket that would fit an HC9. The "black bin liner" option has a tendency to blow away and store more liquid than it repels... had a look on ebay but nothing stood out. Any suggestions?

For Reference, I'm using an HC9e pal version on a fig rig, - pic attached. It's fantastic. Moved from a canon XL2 and miss the responsive manual focus control but it's amazing value for money. Shown with a beachtek box to external pro mic, connected to Lanc and headphones with third party knock off chinese import battery. Shot one project on it and need to get to grips with the manual settings especially exposure control which can be a little unpredictable on auto (as can focus). Great wee camcorder nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails
Help - Looking for a small camcorder (for HC9) rainjacket...-hc9e-fig-rig.jpg  
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

117 views but no suggestions? Guess theres no chance then. Gap in the market obv.
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For an HC3 (basically the same size) I use a one-gallon Ziploc bag with a small slit cut in the bag's seam in front of the lens, through which I screw the UV filter/lens hood combination. The hood is exposed to the rain but the rest of the cam is not, and the filter holds the bag in place.

Cheap, disposable, and easy to open the LCD screen. But with all your extra gear it might not work.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

AFAIK, there are no rain jackets made for these small cams - at least I don't recall seeing any... I just used some old SPKHCB's, but those are fully sealed, and might not suit your needs...

BUT I would suggest that you try searching using the model #'s of the many similar size cameras - that would include HC3,5,7, HV20, HV30, SR11/12 etc... SOMEone must be making something for these as there are so many similar size/configuration cameras...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Kata make raincovers for small camcorders, such as the CRC-17 available from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ain_Cover.html

There look to be a few choices on the B&H website that look like they should work if that one doesn't.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for the leads guys. at the moment I'm thinking that I may have one tailor made to be a bit more film maker friendly but i'll certainly be considering those you have flagged here. much appreciated!
David Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series