Could this be the big one? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 24th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #16
Regular Crew

a Suitable Wish List

I am currently using a FX1 - and absolutely delighted with the footage- but depressed when travelling to carry that huge gear. HC1 , if it keeps th equality will fix that. But if Sony wants to make a success of it, they might need some input from my whish list . Immodestly, of course.

1/EUROPE WANTs PAL ( in fact 1080/50i )

2/The not-so-pro user needs an EASY footage editor, to make simple cuts,

3/ It MUST be FREE in the HC1 package if HD wants to conquer the consumer market.

4/ It could look like MPEG Video Wizard

5/ It should integrate EASILY with production of WMV @ 1440*1080 / and /or DIVX Fusion -once stabilized..

Otherwise Windows owners ( 95%of the market ) will be left with the 1490$ needed for ADOBE PREMIERE PRO and a bulky learning curve and the need for tricky installations - or the inability to edit their takes...
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #17
Major Player

BJ, are you planning on purchasing either the HC1 or the A1? If you do, I'd love to see it in person, and see what the footage it captures looks like....since you're right down the road from me.

:-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I'll be buying an HC1 the day after a solid review comes out. You are more than welcome to check it out.

I spent about two months researching which camcorder to buy. I wanted high quality widescreen since I couldn't afford, or carry, the FX1. That narrowed the field to the GS400, PDX10, or the HC1000. I couldn't find a GS400 anywhere and the HC1000 got terrible reviews. I really liked the PDX10, so I bought a used one on ebay. I got screwed....the camcorder was broken. But I discovered that the PDX10 is too large with the XLR mic for my needs. I was also a bit frustrated that I could not directly capture video to my PC editing software. The firewire standard used by Sony on the PDX10 did not transfer stereo sound, only mono. This problem is documented in the forums, so I hope that Sony fixes it with the HC1.
BJ Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Elliott
But I discovered that the PDX10 is too large with the XLR mic for my needs.
Well the nice thing there is that the XLR box and mike are easily removed and it still records from built in stereo mikes. Looking at the photos of the A1, it uses the same box. OTOH, if you don't really need XLR's then perhaps the consumer version is better suited for you.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
OTOH, if you don't really need XLR's then perhaps the consumer version is better suited for you.
My thoughts exactly. However, I have not seen a chart comparing the features of the HC1 vs. the A1. If I'm only giving up the XLR mic and Sony Broadcasting service, then it would be worth saving a $1000 on the HC1.

Except for the size difference, I can't think of any other reason why someone would spend $3000 for the A1 instead of spending a bit more for the FX1.
BJ Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I have not seen a chart comparing the features of the HC1 vs. the A1.
In the works; I hope to have it ready here shortly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #22
Regular Crew

PAL HC1 Price

Still waiting for price confirmation from my dealer on my HC1 order, but it's in Jessops new summer catalogue for £1495, selected stores from July. As Jessops tend to go towards the high side and expect you to beat them up with a price match deal, looks like we are going to pay around £1350 here in the UK
Paul
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #23
Major Player

HC1 price

Great - thanks for the info Paul.
I guess the HC1 will be in short supply at first so the price might stay firm for a little while.

Still, I'm gonna get one and i expect them to sell well.

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #24
Major Player

looking at the numbers

Using rather crude logic here, if the main difference between the C1 and A1 is only the XLR...and if the A1 and FX1 are so close in price...and if the FX1 and Z1 pictures are identical...THEN wouldn't this suggest that the picture quality of the C1 and the Z1 could be essentially the same? I'm trying to think as a Sony engineer might, knowing how they deliberately cripple various models depending on price.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #25
Trustee

The optics, DSP, chip type, and chip block and totally different compared to the FX1/Z1. I highly doubt the picture quality would be exactly the same. They could try to get it close but it is a totally different beast all together.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Elliott
I'll be buying an HC1 the day after a solid review comes out. You are more than welcome to check it out.

I spent about two months researching which camcorder to buy. I wanted high quality widescreen since I couldn't afford, or carry, the FX1. That narrowed the field to the GS400, PDX10, or the HC1000. I couldn't find a GS400 anywhere and the HC1000 got terrible reviews. I really liked the PDX10, so I bought a used one on ebay. I got screwed....the camcorder was broken. But I discovered that the PDX10 is too large with the XLR mic for my needs. I was also a bit frustrated that I could not directly capture video to my PC editing software. The firewire standard used by Sony on the PDX10 did not transfer stereo sound, only mono. This problem is documented in the forums, so I hope that Sony fixes it with the HC1.
Oops, I asked you a question, and then somehow missed your answer. Sorry! Okay, well as soon as you get it, I'll have to come chek it out. :-) My interest is certainly piqued...but I really wanna see footage off it.

BTW, did you ever get your PDX10 eBay issue solved, or do you just have a dead camera sitting in a box now?
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
BTW, did you ever get your PDX10 eBay issue solved, or do you just have a dead camera sitting in a box now?
Duane, looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg story! After 3 months, I did get my money back, indirectly. But the lessons learned are: (1) don't buy anything on ebay unless you get a return agreement in writing, (2) document everything, (3) save your buyer comments until everything checks out, (4) start filing your complaint immediately after communication with the seller breaks down, and (5) NEVER EVER mess with me and my hard-earned cash.
BJ Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series