Sony USA Site has specs on the cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 20th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony USA Site has specs on the cameras

Right on home page Sony.com is picture of the camera. Even consumer model has uncompressed analog HD output. You can even buy fancier cable for it.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Here is a link.

Click here

I'm guessing this is a mistake in the HC1 specs? See below:

"1/3" CMOS Sensor provides stunning detail and clarity with exceptional video (up to 530 lines of horizontal resolution) and still image performance."
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

This is a little disappointing:
Quote:
• Shutter Speed: 1/4 - 1/10,000 (in AE Mode)
• Iris Control: Automatic
Is there really no manual control on this $2,000 camera?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Haupfear
"1/3" CMOS Sensor provides stunning detail and clarity with exceptional video (up to 530 lines of horizontal resolution) and still image performance."
Up to 530 lines? Do they mean like from 200 to 530? Ridiculous.

Radek
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

From sonystyle.com:
"The camera's LCD image is magnified, temporarily, up to 4X its original size without any loss of distortion."

So the distortion is faithfully displayed even at 4x magnification. Um.. that's good to know. And thank goodness that "whentaking pictures" the built in flash "reducts shadows". And like several other readers here, I also was impressed by the claim of 530 lines of resolution.

Seriously, are things so tight over at Sony that they've stopped using proof readers and just run their Japanese ads through a Google translation for the North American market?

Well, fortunately the camera still looks like it offers a lot of potential, though if the specs are accurate and there's really no dedicated shutter or iris control, they'll be sending the more advanced video geeks over to Canon and Panasonic again (uh.. if they finally anounce some competing HD products in this range - hello Canon/Panasonic).

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

I assume that the pro version will have more manual control, but the A1 doesn't appear on their pro site yet. In fact, their HDV site is pretty thin, and the only mention of the A1 is the press release which is short on detail and has already been discussed here.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...HDV/home.shtml
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Major Player

They have uncompressed 1080i output, no manual exposure? Amazing. Talking about consistency.

They use electronic stabilization. That reduce both vertical and horizontal resolution by 25%.

Radek
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Major Player

They have uncompressed 1080i output, no manual exposure? Amazing. Talking about consistency.

They use electronic stabilization. That reduce both vertical and horizontal resolution by 25%. That should make 750 lines, not 530.

Radek
Old June 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Major Player

OIS or EIS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda

They use electronic stabilization. That reduce both vertical and horizontal resolution by 25%. That should make 750 lines, not 530.

Radek
I remember a bit of a debate shortly after the HC1 was announced on whether it had OIS or EIS as the specs were confusing. I'm sure it's OIS (as that page implies) and therefore you won't get the resolution loss.

Can anyone definitely confirm that it has Optical Image Stab. and not Electronic Image Stab. pls ?
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
This is a little disappointing:

Is there really no manual control on this $2,000 camera?
Yes, it is, apparently quotes can't be quoted by this boards software.

"• Shutter Speed: 1/4 - 1/10,000 (in AE Mode)
• Iris Control: Automatic"

But can exposure and gain be locked down, that would be alright with a SLR lens adaptor. I wonder what the shutter is in manual mode? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:34 AM   #11
Inner Circle

An interesting question:

This camera has a Lanc port, are there any Lanc/Firewire devices that give you more control, say over zoom, focus, iris and shutter?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...oductSKU=RMVD1
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series