PDX10 vs HVR-A1 purchase - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Sara, very wise plan that is. The lighting might set you back another 2,000 - 3,500 UKP. I was told by the Gear House Broadcast supplies in London they will be getting A1 near the end of September. I did buy my PDX10 from them and, at the time, to my knowledge, it had the lowest price tag.

DSE, I do have a question too about A1 though. You're saying that Z1 produces deeper and richer image than A1. Does that apply only to the low light situation? Under good lighting conditions, what is the quality of A1 image? Thanks...

Michael, you asked DSE and not for my opinion but for what it's worth, since this is a forum, your VX2100 will blend perfectly with either of those two cameras. So the question really is about choosing between FX1 and A1. And FX1 will definitely make a stronger impact, impression wise, on your customers, who (please correct me if I'm wrong) are in the heart of your business. Still, Sara did mention something about the audio on FX1 being unbalanced. I'm not sure how this would affect the audio of the footage however. Then soon, we will have a spec for A1. But, I'm afraid, only you can crunch this one. Good luck!
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #17
Trustee

Valery, thanks for the reply. It's good to know, that the 2 cameras will work well together at least.

"Still, Sara did mention something about the audio on FX1 being unbalanced."
I have a Beachtek DX-4 already, so audio via XLR isn't that big a deal for me.

I am leaning towards the FX1 because of the outstanding manual controls and better lux rating in low light.

Bottom tape feed is a big turnoff for me, but I heard someone mention a "quick mount" to aleviate some of that problem. What is a "quick mount"?

The main concern for me right now is computer specs and HDV video. I obviously wouldn't work with the mt2 files, but an internediate codes like the Cineform codec. Since I would be converting to an intermediary codec, hard drive space and archiving will be an issue.
I have a 3.4 P4 Hyperthreaded processor, with ASUS P4P800E Deluxe motherboard, 2GB will upgrade to 4GB RAM, 500GB of storage. I use Sony Vegas6/DVDA3 and would be using a proxy file (via GearShift) for edting purposes.

Thanks again,
Michael
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Michael,

My reply was based on the assumption that you would be shooting HDV but capturing a downconverted DV, which would then be no problem to integrate with VX2100 footage (I'm not sure how it might work the other way around). Personally, I have not edited HDV. I'm therefore not in a position to give you any advice here, sorry. Besides, I work on a Mac (PB G4 1.5MHz 2GB RAM).

Your main question, as I now see it, is about the best workflow for your circumstances (that is image->capture->edit->output).

I can only speak for DV solutions on a Mac for the moment. HDV is the next step for me...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series