MiniDV Tape Dead? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Major Player

MiniDV Tape Dead?

I have a very lightly used Sony HDR-HC7 that's starting have tape mechanism problems. I don't want to replace this camera, but my curiosity led me to the new models on Sony's and Canon's web site. I couldn't find a MiniDV camcorder in the consumer line of cameras.

Is this format dead? Is it still in professional use?

Thanks.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Not dead, still in use by professionals. Having said that... don't wait too long to get your camera in for servicing.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If not dead then it's feeling pretty poorly. The tape deck is a highly complex mechanical assembly that invariably makes cameras that use it less reliable than solid state. Maybe you'd like to read my thoughts on it as the last one in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...standards.html
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Major Player

That's disappointing given that I haven't had my HC7 very long and I love having tape as an archival format. I could have purchased a AVCHD/hard disk camcorder at the time but I thought tape was going to be here for much longer. And if my HC7 does have a mechanical problem, I'm not sure if I want to put any more money into it (already had to pay once for mechanical repairs).

So I have all these archival tapes and in a not-too-distant future I won't even have any way of accessing them. For those still on tape, what are you doing to archive the archive tapes onto digital storage?
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Don't worry David - digital tape will have players around for tens of years. Remember millions of MiniDV camcorders were produced in its 15 year life-span, so I'd archive onto Mini DV rather than DV, and record in the SP mode rather than LP or DVCAM.

I can still play quarter track open reel, VHS and all sorts of 8mm tapes.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Tom.
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #7
New Boot

I'd hardly say dead too, the local shop dropped the price of Sony DV tape stock to $3.50 each. That being said, I do have a Firestore...
Ian Calliou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

i dont know if is dead or not , but i do know that i love tape format cause is the perfect storage and backup
the only think i hate is drop-frame.

I have 2 x canon xha1 and one canon hv30 for transfering video to pc.
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series