Tapeless Backup Workflow on Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1
New Boot

Tapeless Backup Workflow on Mac

Hi folks,

I'm using a Sony HDR CX550V on a Mac and I'd like to take the MPEG-2 files from my camera and back them up onto my external firewire drive.

When I mount the camera's internal drive, a bunch of different folders come up (see screenshot). A couple of questions:
- Am I okay to just copy the movie files (for example M2U00001.MPG) or should I also copyother files / folders? If the latter, which ones?
- Is there any risk to my corrupting the camera's drive and/or movie files drive by mounting it on my Mac or PC?
- Any other common mistakes I should watch out for to avoid corrupting my data?

My project requires that I go to a tapeless workflow and I'm worried about losing any data :) Your advice would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Tapeless Backup Workflow on Mac-screen-shot-2011-03-07-1.40.27-am.png  
Nabil Laoudji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Tourist

Re: Tapeless Backup Workflow on Mac

Hello,
You need to back up the entire contents (all the folders, everything).
Create a disk image using disk utility that's the same size as the amount of space that's used on your camera. Once the disk image is created drag/copy the entire contents of your camera's drive to the .dmg. Once that copy is made copy the .dmg to another drive just to be safe. Backup your back up.
I hope that helps.
Andy Timithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Interesting; thanks for your reply.

What would happen if I only backed up the .mpg files? Couldn't I still open/edit the files just fine in Adobe Premiere?
Nabil Laoudji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Tourist

I think you might be able to just backup the .mpg files because they are not .mts files which are dependent on the rest of the stuff contained in the camera's directory. .Mts files are the result of choosing to record at the highest quality. They are AVCHD and require the information in the entire directory. The .mpg files are self contained (I think) and were generated because you chose to record at a setting other than the highest quality. I've never tried it and do not recommend doing so, but I guess it can't hurt as long as you keep the original directory intact.
Having said that it's just dead simple to backup your footage per my first post. I've got a TB of files from my SR-11 and CX-550v from the past 2 1/2 years and it works just fine.
Andy Timithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks so much Andy and can someone validate whether the camera's MPG files are really self-contained (and don't require other info in the directory in order to be read?)

If they are self-contained, I imagine it wouldn't be a problem to put them on a thumb drive and share between a Mac and PC as well. Can anyone verify?
Nabil Laoudji is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series