Where are the full resolution sensor video test modes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Where are the full resolution sensor video test modes?

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

I was just thinking, and it occurred to me that the HC1 must have video test modes for testing the full sensor during servicing, but this is likely to be hidden away in servicing functions, or on a hidden digital/analogue port like I've heard about on the JVC GY-500 (though it is likely they would just use the component port).

There might be a video test mode for progressive (as we understand it can capture progressive stills) and interlace, with a resolution upto 1920*1440 resolution of the sensor. The test mode might even supply the data in a raw 4:4:4 form to show every pixel under the single chip colour filter array (IE like the Bayer pattern). This would enable very high quality processing and compact storage of uncompressed footage compared to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

I know people have acceded the service items on cameras before, and I've heard of people hacking the HC1, has anybody heard of anything?

A raw per pixel output would probably show up as a monochrome image of every pixel (either one of the component lines, or all of them changing together) or just the component line matching the filtered colour of pixel at each position.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I'm just curious, what could you do with that information? I guess I can't understand the purpose for this. How would it help you to use the camera?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There was significant interest in recording high quality from the component as a quality solution. A full frame test mode is better, and raw is better again for post processing. Even at just normal 1080p this would be a lot cheaper solution than the upcoming JVC/PANA HD component recording solutions for their low end HD cameras.

For people here, a component record to compressed to anything better than hdv would be an improvement if you wanted high quality. For the indie crowd uncompressed is doubly so. For people involved in the Digital Cinema camera projects it is an interesting cheap alternative (if it can be done cheaply).

Worth asking about to see. Currently I am asking some people about cheap component recording solutions on another site too, but I don't hold much hope.

Thanks
Old August 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I am quite sure that it's 4:4:4 if you use it directly. No need for testmode. If it's from tape it's of course compressed. I can only remember that I read it somewhere. I can't find it in the manual at the moment.

Edit: I might have been dreaming since I can't verify it somehow. Sorry.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for that. If 4:4:4 (or single chip filter type) would be great for quality.

These sorts of pieces of information have a tends of slipping by, so you might be right anyway.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Major Player

I now recall that I might read it about the HVX200 and some way mixed them up. Do anyone know how it can be checked out?
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
I now recall that I might read it about the HVX200 and some way mixed them up. Do anyone know how it can be checked out?
I was hoping somebody might know how to hack a Sony camera, have access to the most low level service manuals. Hook them up to a HD display that gives accurate mode information, and look for the sort of colour information I mentioned above.

I gleaned some information over at avs forums, somebody said Lucas was going to do his next film on the A1 model. I couldn't find any cheap way to record component HD over there, only w-vhs.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:36 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
somebody said Lucas was going to do his next film on the A1 model.
Actually that's not quite correct; he's doing it with the A1 model and Obin's adapter. We have a rule here, I can't help what you fall for at other message boards but *please* don't drag this kind of nonsense into DV Info. The next thing you know, somebody will be saying that Spielberg's next Hollywood blockbuster will be shot using the movie mode on his digicam. Thanks in advance,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

OK, I understand. Thought he was being real though. I even told him that in that case Lucas would be using the A1's component ;). Are you trying to frighten me with the Obin adaptor stuff ;) I already know that Juan of FIlmstream is the only practical place here to get the FPGA that quickly, I was even thinking of approaching Juan myself a while ago. (Oh, and you forgot to mention, I'm the George's chief camera man on the movie ;)
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Wayne, how did you know that I really am The George's chief camera man on that movie. Much appreciated,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series