A1 or HC1 footage / Comparison with Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 or HC1 footage / Comparison with Z1

Hi....

I own a Z1 and am considering selling it to get either a HVR-A1U or a HC1.

Why would I do such a crazy thing? Well, I bought the Z1 for shooting videos of my family and vacations, etc. I just wanted the best that could be had. The Z1 offered more features than the FX1. And, I have been 110% happy with my purchase.

My wife, on the other hand, won't use the camera. She complains its too heavy and too big and doesn't like to hold it. However, she saw the HC1 in Best Buy yesterday and fell in love with it.

How much picture quality difference is there between the two cameras? I am ceraintly no professional DP, but I completely accept and love the pictures coming out of my Z1.

I certainly can't afford to just buy another camera. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #2

You can see comparison footage and read two reviews, one on each camera, on the vasst site. [url]http://www.vasst.com[url/]

I expect that at some future point in time, the reviews and footage will be posted here on the DVInfo.net. they've been on the VASST site for nearly a month now.
Perhaps you'll find them not as far apart as they might seem for general use.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Maybe something like the DV Rig can be bought instead so it will be easier to use? The HC1 might be TOO light. It weights like 700 gram.. zooming in makes the pictures a bit shaky when working by hand.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Fredrik

Personally, i'd add a wide-angle lens convertor to it and a monopod 90% of the time (and probably an external mic if i could figure out how to mount the thing..) and that will get the weight up to 1200 - 1300 grammes.

Footage will be much steadier, you'll get better sound, and more options as far as different angle shots.

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

How are in comparison of latitude and detail?

Thanks in advance
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series