A/V with Sony RM-AV2 remote at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A/V with Sony RM-AV2 remote

Hi,
I have a Sony HDR-CX580V camcorder. It has a A/V R output (10 pin "D"). I bought a Sony RM-AV2 remote that plugs into the A/V port, but I also need the video out. (HDMI is not an option). I searched google but I only find 10 pin to LANC adapters (2.5), which I don't need.

I need to get video and the remote working on the same port (maybe 10 pin to 10 pin with video).

I saw the plans to hack the 10 pin here:
Sony 10-pin A/V & LANC connector pinout and wiring @ pinoutsguide.com
But I'm not that teckie to get it done.

The closest I got is this site here:
Sony LANC Adapter Cable - AV/R LANC 10 pin Adapter Cable 2.5 mm to D connector Video Audio

If only I could replace that 2.5mm plug into a 10pin so that I can plug the RM-AV2 remote.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Julius Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: A/V with Sony RM-AV2 remote

I think I found a solution...here..
AV Cable for Sony DCR-SX40 DCR-SX41 DCR-SX44

Although my camera isn't listed (it's a hdr-cx580v), the 10 pin "D" plug looks identical.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't think that will work. It's for dubbing to a VCR. It's Sony AV (Male -- same as your remote) at one end and S-Video/Composite at the other.

The link in the first post is better but it specifically excludes the 560, so it's fair to assume the 580 is excluded as well. You're best off just using the HDMI for viewing.

But I could be wrong about both of these things.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Julius -

Since I'm familiar with that little 10 pin... You've got the RMAV2, from the sound of it, which of course only uses a couple of the potential inputs/outputs from the A/V jack. What you're asking for is something to "pass through" the LANC, AND also give you the SVid and/or Composite/audio outs... Unfortunately, because the adapters are all designed to help "old tech" interface with the 10 pin, they have the "old" 2.5mm LANC jack.

Possible solutions:

Get the older Sony LANC (RMVD1? not sure about the model #), which is identical to the RMAV2, but with the 2.5mm, and the adapter. Relatively expensive, but would achieve your goal. Should be able to find the older LANC on eBay (I might even have one, I'll dig around... I tend to keep all sorts of odd stuff I should sell!).

Have a custom adapter cobbled up - only problem i see with that is I'm not sure where to procure the 10 pin "jack", and it's going to be messy - these adapters can be churned out quick in those Chinese factories where they can just mold the ends... not as simple for a one-off! Having hacked the 10 pin and looked into producing adapters, I'll just say the "prototypes" aren't pretty!

As Adam suggests, use the HDMI output for your audio and video - there are probably adapters available to convert that signal down to component/composite/DVI-i or SOMETHING you could use. Not a "one port" solution, but should be workable.

Hope that's helpful... wish that it was simpler, but it isn't!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies,,if you do find the RMVD1 please let me know.

The HDMI output is already being use to output to a projector..I just needed the A/V to plug into an old DVD recorder that only accepts analog.

Unless I find a HDMI splitter..meaning HDMI to HDMI and Analog (boy if that even exists..)..and to add some fuel to the fire, the projector is about 75 feet away from the camera (video signal strength?)
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Does the projector have an output? Can you go to the VCR from there?
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No why didn't I think of that?

No that's thinking outside the box! Thanks I think that will work!
Julius Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series