Sony HDR-PJ710V controls at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony HDR-PJ710V controls

I have two specific questions about the HDR-PJ710V as it relates to using underwater in a housing:

1) Can I do manual white balance through the menus WITHOUT accessing the mechanical knob by the lens?
While in the housing, I have no way of manipulating that dial, but I have full menu controls.

2) Can I override autofocus and set a manual focal length? If, while diving, a fish swims between my camera and my subject, I don't want the camera to refocus on the fish, but to remain focused on my subject. Again, this control would have to be via the menu system, and not accomplished by manipulating the knob by the lens.

Can anybody help me? Much research has lead me to this camcorder and now it looks like it may not serve my underwater videography needs.

Thanks!
Darryl
Darryl Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony HDR-PJ710V controls

1) Can I do manual white balance through the menus WITHOUT accessing the mechanical knob by the lens?

Yes; anything you can do with the dial you can do in the menus. The dial is for convenience in changing menu items, but the full menu is accessible from the LCD.

2) Can I override autofocus and set a manual focal length? If, while diving, a fish swims between my camera and my subject, I don't want the camera to refocus on the fish, but to remain focused on my subject. Again, this control would have to be via the menu system, and not accomplished by manipulating the knob by the lens.

You can set focus to manual and even set the focus manually from the LCD menu (fix it). Again, the dial is an alternative to the LCD menu system. It is not necessary to change any setting.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm very glad to hear that! Thanks Mark.

I'm buying the camcorder tomorrow.

Darryl
Darryl Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
New Boot

How to I get the MTS files created by my PJ710V onto my Mac and into a format (M4V?) I can view and edit on my Mac (OSX7)?

The Sony-provided software (PlayMemories Online) doesn't seem to make any sense.

Thanks
Darryl Jensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series