On Camera Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1
New Boot

On Camera Lighting

I was wondering if anyone could recomend a light for the A1 that will use the same type battery that the camera uses. I love the outside and well lit inside clips I have taken with the A1. I am a little dissapointed with the mid to low light situations even after some setting tweeks. I have a friend that has a small Sony light that fits on the shoe that did a decent job at improving the lower light shots. I looked for and found a light that would work for me. It is a "HVL-20DW2" from Sony. The problem is it takes "L" type batteries. I have already invested in a few batteries and a charger for the camera and don't want to buy different batteries and a charger for a light. I also don't want to carry any extra "stuff" around with me. The portability of the A1 is a HUGE plus.
David Stieferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Major Player

The HVL-20DMA is basically the same thing as the HVL-20DW2 except that it uses the same "M" batteries your camera uses. I just got mine a couple of days ago. This is the model you are looking for:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #3
Trustee

R the lights yellowish? Is a 20W light enuf to light up across a table?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The light's a goodie - small, light (ha!) no umbilical cords to external batteries and you can soften / diffuse it with a Stofen or Lumquist on the front. The beauty of that is you can use powerful wide-angle converters and soften the shadows and not blind folk at the reception.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
The light's a goodie - small, light (ha!) no umbilical cords to external batteries and you can soften / diffuse it with a Stofen or Lumquist on the front. The beauty of that is you can use powerful wide-angle converters and soften the shadows and not blind folk at the reception.

tom.
Now THAT is good to hear... !!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd love to see a link posted for a good diffusor for an HVL-20DMA mounted on an A1. I'm getting plenty of light, but without a diffusor I get a lot of squinting.
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Have a look at the Mini Softbox at
www.lumiquest.com
It comes with all the self adhesive velcro pads and fits this light perfectly. If you have both 10 watt lamps on (as I recommend you do as this softens the light even more) then the diffuser can get a bit floppy in the heat after 10 minutes, but no matter - the velcro pads keep it in shape. I wouldn't ever consider using my 10/10 lamp without it now.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

This one?:

http://www.lumiquest.com/lq951.htm
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Inner Circle

and read this thread also:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52507
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series