Xbox360 Can Play Streaming Raw HDR-HC1 Clips via Media Center 2005! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM   #1
Tourist

Xbox360 Can Play Streaming Raw HDR-HC1 Clips via Media Center 2005!

All -

Been a lurker here for some time now... Bought my HDR-HC1 as a preorder and was in the first batch to get them. Since then I've been enjoying it greatly, experimenting with editing on both the PC and Mac as well as streaming RAW, Divx & WMV-HD clips to my Avel Linkplayer -- all with great success!

I'm here to report that with my new Xbox360 and Media Center 2005 PC (using the Xbox360 as a Media Center Extender), which supports the streaming of HD MPEG2 and WMV-HD files DOES SUPPORT the playback of RAW clips I've captured from my HDR-HC1 via CapDVHS!

Granted, the Xbox360 supposedly only supports up to 720p but you can set it to output 1080i to your HDTV. I am now starting to archive all my HC1 footage onto a very large external Firewire/USB2 Hard Drive and am now able to watch all my beautiful clips in my home theater with a very nice user interface.

Once Xbox360's become more plentiful, I plan on purchasing at least 1 more to use in the bedroom as an additional Media Center Extender (MCE 2005 can support up to 5 extenders).

Good luck all!

Regards,
Aaron
Aaron Schildkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:46 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi,

Did you get the Avel Linkplayer II to play an m2t stream captured from the camera? I can't get mine to play more than a couple of seconds before it freezes. Its connected to a 100mbps network. It plays HD WMV files ok. I would love to get it to play m2t streams. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mick Guzauski
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Guzauski
Hi,

Did you get the Avel Linkplayer II to play an m2t stream captured from the camera? I can't get mine to play more than a couple of seconds before it freezes. Its connected to a 100mbps network. It plays HD WMV files ok. I would love to get it to play m2t streams. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mick Guzauski
I have JVC version of the LinkPlayer and can play m2t files over the LAN without any problem. I would suggest to to try 2 things:
Play m2t of the DVD to confirm that it can actually play smoothly.
Connect your server over crossover cable to eliminate any LAN/switch related problems. Also, you don't need an advanced server to play m2t files, you can stream them using just a standard LinkPlayer Server or SwissCenter or any other "basic" server.
Good luck,
Wojtek
Wojtek Tryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM   #4
suspended -- contact admin

Will the Xbox360 play high definition movies if it is disconnected from the media PC?
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Tourist

Tommy,

The only way to stream Video to the Xbox360 is via a Media Center 2005 PC. You can't even stream Video from a USB External Hard Drive connected to the USB port of the Xbox360.

Only Music and Photos can be played via a connected USB hard drive or from any Windows PC running the Windows Media Connect software (free download).

Although I havent tried it, burning RAW HC1 clips to a DVD won't play when inserted into the DVD drive of the Xbox360 -- only DVD movies and XBOX games will play. In this regard, the Avel Linkplayer II is a better choice -- but I really love the user interface on Windows Media Center A LOT MORE than the Linkplayer's!

Regards,
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy James
Will the Xbox360 play high definition movies if it is disconnected from the media PC?
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Tourist

Mick,

Are you sure you've updated to the latest version of the firmware for the Linkplayer II? Earlier versions kept studdering on playing HD MPEG2 files.

As a matter of fact, the latest firmware (end of October I believe) broke the playback a bit. When I first start streaming a clip is freezes occasionally. If I stop the clip and restart it a couple of times, then it (usually) plays all the way through... I really hope the I-O Data guys will fix this... prior to the latest update I had NO GLITCHES in playing back clips!

Also - make sure you don't have a lot of traffic going on your network when playing the clips (downloading from the internet, etc...)

Regards,
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Guzauski
Hi,

Thanks,

Mick Guzauski
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:21 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I still can't get the Linkplayer to play m2t files. (25mb/s captured from FX-1 or HC-1) I upgraded to the latest firmware. I upgraded to the latest server software. (both PC and Mac) I directly connected the computer to the Linkplayer. The result is always the same. WMV hd files play fine, they are only about 10mb/s though. m2t files, whether 17 or 25 mb/s play for about 2 seconds and then hang no matter what I do. Do you think I may have a defective Linkplayer. It says in the manual that it only plays up to 12 mb/s. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mick Guzauski
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Trustee

My LinkPlayer2 plays 25mbps HDV from the Sony Z1U, and 18.5 mbps from the JVC HD1.

Both play streamed over the network cable, or played back from the m2t file on a DVD disk. I can't say if it would have done that with the stock EVO loader, which broke. I replaced it with a LiteOn SOHD-167T some time ago.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series