Hrv-a1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Hrv-a1

Perhaps a lame question, but is the HRV-A1 the perfect camera?

I do not own one myself, but will soon. Any views?
Petter Emil Wikoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:19 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Emil Wikoren
Perhaps a lame question, but is the HRV-A1 the perfect camera?

I do not own one myself, but will soon. Any views?
Well, nothing is perfect :) You have no direct control over IRIS nor GAIN but for some this is still ok as you can control combination of both by changing manual exposure keeping the shutter speed constant.
For the price? I would (and I did) go for hc1, same functionality without black stretch (who cares) and without XLR module. The Bitchtek XLR you can get for less than $200 and the Sony MIC you would replace anyway. Other improvements? It's your personal call...
Both hc1 and A1 will give you relatively good HDV footage under good light. Low light is passable for family type videos but not for professional work.
Just my 2c,
Wojtek
PS: Forgot to add, if the size matters; A1/hc1 are winners handsdown
Wojtek Tryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I disagree. For the additional $1000, you get an amazing audio module with XLR, a very good microphone (superior to the mic found on the $4000+ Z1; not as good as the VideoMic), a plethora of additional features (40+) such as Black Strech, Full Scan Mode, Assignable button, B/W EVF, CinemaTones, etc. Most importantly, you get the tradional shoe in addition to SONY's AIS, which is a major drawback of the HC1. With the HC1, you're required to use an adapter to use the accessories available outside of SONY. I'd also like to add that the BeachTek adapters are huge in comparison to the audio module found on the A1.

Best of all, the A1 can convert itself into the HC1 by removing the audio module. Therefore, you have both, a professional camcorder and a great travel camcorder.

I do agree that the A1 is not perfect, but then again, no camcorder is. If there was a perfect camcorder out there, nobody would buy any other camcorder and the market would crash. But I do believe that the A1 is close to it. Aside from the minor nuisances that was mentioned (lack of iris and gain control), the A1 is close to perfection. You can use exposure to adjust the iris and gain, but having individual control of it would be nice.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Emil Wikoren
...is the HRV-A1 the perfect camera?
NO.

It's only 'perfect' if it meets your needs 'perfectly'.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series