DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Help! Lousy color rendering, especially red tones -anyone else than me? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/55503-help-lousy-color-rendering-especially-red-tones-anyone-else-than-me.html)

Christian de Godzinsky January 10th, 2007 08:43 AM

Hi,

Yes - you can do miracles in postprocessing. But - how can you correct this problem with a fixed color filter when you don't know how the HC1 erroneosly processes the reds under different lighting conditions?

This is more like compensating for the symptoms. Additionally, post color corrention increases the rendering time dramatically - and it is is already slow if you run in HDV mode and have added some other postprocessing.

So, as a last resort, do it in post. But why not get the the HC1 fixed when it can be fixed???

You have, independent of this, always a problem to achieve good color matching when combining material from different models or makes of cams.

Can anyone direct me where to find a good (an not too expensive) printed color test chart to shoot before shooting the actual material - to be able to do the color matcing in post? Would it be possible to print a suitable one with a decent color printer? Does such printable document exist somewhere?

Christian

David Delaney January 10th, 2007 09:47 PM

IS there a url of a list of Sony repair centers? I just got a used HC1 and want to send it in before warranty runs out. I am in the Western NY area/Buffalo.

Peter Rhalter January 11th, 2007 12:34 AM

Help! Lousy color rendering, especially red tones -anyone else than me?

<IS there a url of a list of Sony repair centers? I just got a used HC1 and want to send it in before warranty runs out. I am in the Western NY area/Buffalo.>

Try:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select...ome:btnSupport

Hope that helps,
Peter

David Delaney January 11th, 2007 06:38 AM

How are you guys getting this for free? I checked into it and this is what it told me (still under warranty) :

The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $249.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

This is a steep price to pay to get the reds fixed, but yet I have read some people posting that they got it down for free?!?

Fredrik-Larsson January 11th, 2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney
How are you guys getting this for free? I checked into it and this is what it told me (still under warranty) :

The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $249.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

This is a steep price to pay to get the reds fixed, but yet I have read some people posting that they got it down for free?!?

I think it depends in what country you live in. In sweden we are protected by consumer laws that gives us certain rights. It might be very well that you have the right to free warranty but they try to hustle you anyway since consumer might be unaware of their legal right.

David Delaney January 11th, 2007 07:03 PM

I am not happy about it. I am going to try and talk to Sony about it, tell them it is not a repair, but something that should have been done already. I might just take it back to Circuit City and see what they say...

Jamie Hellmich January 11th, 2007 08:48 PM

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h/DSC00155.jpg

My HC1 does very well with reds. Video or jpg.

Jamie

David Delaney January 11th, 2007 08:51 PM

I am not sure which batch of HC1's you have, but mine is more magenta then red when I see 'red' coloured objects, like explained in this thread. That looks great though! Are you capturing using anything? HD connect? Vegas? PPro?

Jamie Hellmich January 11th, 2007 09:17 PM

This was actually taken in memory mode (jpg), but is reflective of the video mode as well. This was taken in March right after I got the camera, in full auto.

I keep hearing about people having problems with reds, and just wanted to say mine does well. Plugging the picture in was an after thought.

I thought about throwing a frame grab in from Vegas, but then you can get into...is it real... or retouched. As stated, mine does very well. My wife even says so, and she's the color expert. If her red dress don't look red, she'd let me know, and wonder why I spent all this money :^)

Jamie

Christian de Godzinsky January 15th, 2007 03:15 PM

Hi,

Be happy if your HC1 has good reds out of the box. Most of the HC1's have (or should I say had). However, there are (or was) some (early) units (I have now seen 3 of them - out of one was mine) that had really lousy lilac reds. A red ferrary did not look red at all. Light-skinned people in dark indoor light looked as they just had come out from a sauna... The Sony salesman in one of the Sony shops could not believe his eyes when we compared their demo HC1 and my HC1 with other 1000€ cheaper Sony camcorders.

I have seen the HC1 service manual. There is a myriad of adjustments that can be adjusted for good color balance, that are performed using proper equipment and a service controller. I got mine fixed at the Sony service in Paris (shipped from Helsinki, back and forth, on Sonys cost), now the HC1 is totally OK.

I don't know what went wrong originally at Sony, but some units had this problem from the beginning. For fixing such a shortcoming you should not pay anything since it has been there from day one in your HC1. Keep on to your rights.

Christian

David Delaney January 20th, 2007 01:14 PM

Has anyone had any luck USA-wise on getting Sony to update the Firmware for free? I don't want to pay the $260.00 for a firmware update if I can help it, but it does seem to help the RED on the camera.

David Delaney February 7th, 2007 04:57 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with Sony. They are refusing to admit there is a firmware upgrade or that anything is wrong with the camera. I have a suggestion :
Anyone that has this problem with the HC1, phone into Sony :

1-800-222-7669 (toll free)

Ask for Tech support and tell them the problem. If enough people do this, we might make Sony wake up and smell the coffee. I was told I could send my camera back in for repair to the "red" problem ,but it would cost me $250.00. I told them, this is something that should have been fixed right out of the factory, but they won't budge because they think it is an isolated incident.
Well, that is my two cents. I would like to get a dozen or so phone calls to Sony to make them change their tune on this.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 9th, 2007 11:44 AM

Given that it's been nearly a year since this camcorder was discontinued, there is little point in continuing this particular discussion.
Thanks to everyone for their input.