HC1Ecomponent out is at HD quality! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 6th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC1Ecomponent out is at HD quality!

Hi,
i just been in BenQ showroom and a kind sales let me try, both Av in and component in on a 26 inch LCD TV.
instantly draws many people to view the true quailty of HDV.
we compare the DV output/AV/component.
i can say this is confirmed not SD as the manual says.

it's too early to say this is uncompressed,but i think likley as i comapre to what i saw on Sony LCD in their showroom with HC1, may be they used firewire in. it's very very good and i see no artifacts, on firwire i can see clearly some occasional artifacts from Mpeg2 encodings.

Now if got enough $$ i will buy a blackmagic HD capture card and enjoy my HD filming.

cheers
JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i have not seen any 26" LCD TV that was 1080i ( though i hear westinghouse has one) most are 720p .. so it is down rezing your sony ... to really see what the camera can do watch it on a 1920x1080 LCD TV ( which there will onlyh be a couple at your local stores)

so what is "true HD " ???
IMO " TRUE " would be if you have a 720p camera then TRUE would be a min of a 720p or higher viewing ... if you have a 1080 camera then "true " a min of 1080 or higher viewing ( sony does have a 4K projector)
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I did a comparison of the the AV vs. the Component at work on a couple of very nice 1080P DLP's (I work at a Best Buy with a Magnolia in it) and the difference was astounding. You HAVE to see the video in full rez, it just doesn't do it seeing HD downsized (just like all those small 320/240 rez files in h.264 on people's sites that were filmed in HD...just doesn't cut it...)

SD on a 1080P DLP looks horrible within 8 feet...switch to 1080p(with the tv deinterlacing the 1080i footage) and it is like night and day!
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

any way to use LCD monitor to feed in component signal?

Thanks Noah,
I have yet to get any kind person to let me feed the 1920x 1080i into their display.

i just search a bit and finds that LCD monitor for RGB( computer signal) is not so $$, but lack of Component in , and a search of YUV to RGB converter is not so pricey, about $200,way cheaper than a TV can take component with 1920x 1080 display, but no one can confirm me if they take the HD signal as from camera component to VGA without any loss.

cheers
JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

An easy test for compression, would be to get something and wave it in front of the lens closeup, maybe a piece of cloth with complex pattern, or throwing your hand and fingers around.

I am interested in the component resolution and frames per second, and if it is progressive (as the JVC 100 does). What does the monitor's picture signal status info tell you?

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Tourist

HC1 Component Video and Sony 60" HDTV

I took and HC1 out of the box, put a tape in, and recorded about 2 min of video outside.

I then played it back using component video from the HC1 to the Sony 60" HDTV and I was amazed how clear it was. By default it viewed in "Full" filling the entire screen with crisp and clear video.

What I need to figure out is how to move achieve that exact quality when I burn it to a DVD. I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinium and haven't had that success yet.

Michelle
Michelle Stoetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Stoetzel
What I need to figure out is how to move achieve that exact quality when I burn it to a DVD.
Michelle, DVD video is SD (standard definition): 720x480 pixel resolution in NTSCland. To match what you saw from the HC1's component out, you will need to author a high-definition disk and play it on an HD-capable player.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM   #8
Tourist

Thanks for the responses..

I am wondering if the HD DVD players like the toshiba SD4980 or Samsung DVD-HD850B would read HD off a HD DVD? They talk a lot about upconverting, which is not what I'm getting it for.

Am I correct in saying that one just needs to burn 1440 x 1080 to a regular dvd-r/+r and I am hoping that Sonys Vegas Movie Studio Platinium would do it.

Hopefully..

Michelle
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Tourist

The more I read about this, the more I get the impression that HD DVD players are barely out there. HD camcorders are out, but there are few ways a consumer can actually save the tapes to something that would maintain the high HD quality?
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #10
Trustee

One option is to burn 14440x1080 to a "normal" red-lazer DVDR disk, using an MPEG4, H264 or WM9 codec of some sort. Players like the Toshiba you mention won't play these disks however - you need a specialized player like an Avel Linkplayer 2 or else a computer with a component-out HD-capable videocard like a Nvidia6600GT or better. Also, these disks will only hold relative short amounts of material.

Option 2 is to wait for HD-DVD and BlueRay (BD) burners and players to become more widely available and affordable.

Meanwhile, most people are either making temporary SD DVDs from their raw HD footage, or are putting edited footage back on tape and playing it using their camera's component out.

"Upconverting" DVD players simply make SD material look better when displayed on an HD monitor - they do NOT actually play HD disks.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Go to the Divx and MS WMV websites, and look up players that support their formats, some cheap players do (but I don't know of HD on the cheap ones) less than $200. There might be a site that lists h264 players to, but some of the ones on the sites above might also have it. Some of the latest HD modes support bit rates that will fit into DVD's data rate, but I think you have to be prepared to accept some lower quality.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

re

I think there is a Kiss dvd player that support Divx HD.
Alex Thin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series