Sony HC1 Cineframe Rocks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 26th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

WHAT?! stop the presses! 'real' 24p from CF24?! what are you guys smoking? raise the bs flag! j/k, ill check it out. thanks!
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #17
Trustee

Heh heh! No smokin', sadly!

I have not been following the whole CF24 saga in past months because initially I didnt have a Sony, and then more recently I wasn't even aware that my HC1 had a cinema mode.

All I can tell you is that Cineform has added this "remove pulldown" feature to the recent versions of HDLink, and it sure seemed to do the business on the footage I shot today!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #18
Regular Crew

so i assume this is all being done as you capture in real time?
sucks that im on a mac (ironically, eh?), any mac solutions? i know dvfilm maker is there but it takes too stinkin long!
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #19
Trustee

Interesting question - HDLink captures to a .m2t and then converts that to an AVI....I have it set to discard the .m2t automatically. I assume the .m2t transfer is just raw data so the pulldown removal will be during the conversion.

On my sad and puny 3.0GHz Pentium4, if I capture a 5-minute clip it takes an extra 2 minutes or so to at the end to finish the conversion to the 24p cineform avi. Certainly faster than Maker, which I checked out recently on this same machine (and which itself was much faster than the various After Effects plugin options).

I guess Virtualdub doesn't run on a Mac? - you could remove pulldown with that, or with avisynth.
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #20
Trustee

HC1 'Cinema mode' resolution test

I have posted two enlarged sections of footage of a resolution chart, to give people an idea of the extent to which we will lose detail when shooting in 'cinema mode' on the Sony HC1.

Here's a down-rezzed snapshot of the full frames that were captured, just so that you can orient yourself:
http://home.att.net/~ghickling/res_chart.jpg

This is an cropped section of raw 1080i60 footage:
http://home.att.net/~ghickling/hc1_1080i60.tif (479KB)

And here is the equivalent section cropped from raw 'cinema mode' 1080p24 footage, demonstrating the resolution hit associated with this mode:
http://home.att.net/~ghickling/hc1_cinema_mode.tif (496KB)
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #21
Trustee

Hmmm...what's the deal with shutter speed, then?

Given that Cinema mode disables the option of manually setting shutter speed, I wonder if it locks the speed itself? And if so at what?

(Pure speculation here, but .... if it doesn't fix the shutter that might help explain why some people have been happier with the mode than others. Shooting 24p at high shutter speeds caused by bright conditions would look very stroboscopic.)
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. Cuenco
so i assume this is all being done as you capture in real time?
sucks that im on a mac (ironically, eh?), any mac solutions? i know dvfilm maker is there but it takes too stinkin long!
FCP5 will do this for you. Check your capture presets.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I just did, and i can only get the standard HDV settings. either native or intermediate and they cant be edited.
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #24
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
Given that Cinema mode disables the option of manually setting shutter speed, I wonder if it locks the speed itself? And if so at what?
In an ideal world at 24fps it would lock the shutter at 1/50th second, but it may do 1/60th.

Does it prevent you from setting shutter-speed or -- as posted earlier -- prevent you from biasing the AE? These are two different things.
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Does it prevent you from setting shutter-speed or -- as posted earlier -- prevent you from biasing the AE?
Both!

The shutter speed option in the menu system becomes greyed-out. In addition, the AE button on the side of the camera stops responding.
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #26
Regular Crew

It also goes into an auto-iris mode, which you can't disable, which kills it, for me, using this function...
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #27
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Prince
It also goes into an auto-iris mode, which you can't disable, which kills it, for me, using this function...
Maybe!

If it sets the shutter-speed at either 1/50th or 1/60th then there is inherently only one iris setting that delivers a "correct" exposure.

If the AE system is accurate -- as it is on the FX1 -- that is the iris you would want to set.

OK -- it might be nice to alter the exposure for creative reasons, but the low latitude of single chp camcorders does NOT really allow you to play with the exposure. Open the iris a bit and highlights bleach-out. Close the iris a bit and shadows go black.

The goal should be to bring optimally exposed -- as indicated by the histogram display -- back to your NLE where you can get creative.

The real disadvantage of not having iris control is that you can't lock the iris.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM   #28
New Boot

What's the advantage of Cineframe?

Just wondering, I've seen a lot of complaining about the loss in resolution in this format. So what's all the buzz about? Is it because it's 24fps progressive?
Wouldn't it just be better to deinterlace a 60fps picture? Does the 24fps rate help with low light?

Regards,

Mark
Mark Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #29
Major Player

Could someone explain what HD Link is to me please? (Very new to all this).

Also, I would appreciate explanation about why high shutter speeds caused by bright conditions, shooting at 24p would cause strobe-like effects?

In fact, speaking of shutter speeds, could someone just explain the whole concept of shutter speed to me? Thanks.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #30
Trustee

HDLink is a slim little standalone application that 'captures' HDV footage off your camera onto your computer via firewire. You can specify the resulting file to be a raw .m2t transport stream, a Cineform-codec transcoded avi file, or both.

It will also write .mts files back to your camera.

With AspectHD installed, 'capture' and 'write to tape' functions in Premiere do essentially the same thing, but with a greater pull on system resources.

Regarding the strobing effect: all video cameras break reality up into stationary moments flashed back at you at 24 frames per second, or 60 fields per second, or whatever. Each of those moments is like a still photo - if an object is moving while the photo is taken it will be blurred. The blur is controlled by how long the "shutter" is open. A 1/1000sec exposure of a man waving his arm will be crisp shot of the arm at one point in space. A 1/24th second will be a blurred arc of the arm travelling several inches through space.

If you play a series of 1/1000 shots of a waving arm at 24fps it "strobes": in other words the arm jumps robotically from fixed position to fixed position, with no visual information in each intervening space.

If you play a series of 1/24 exposures at 24fps the blur in each frame links to the blur in the next ... and so the overall effect is smoothly blurred motion, much like the human eye perceives.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series