A1U $500 rebate???? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #61
Regular Crew

?? Not sure what you mean Bob...

I was wondering, are there any differences between an HVR-A1 and an HVR-A1U?

I know the U stands for USA, like the E on the A1E is for Europe. On the website I ordered from, they list the camera as just A1. Only really wondering for the rebate.

Camera: Canon XH A1 (once it's out!!)
Lens: Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, 35mm-70mm f/2.8-3.5, 70mm-140mm f/3.8
Adapter: Micro35 DIY *Ghetto style!*
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #62
Major Player

Maybe you will never have to send the camera in for repair (to Japan or someplace) if you end up with a camera with no warranity.

If you payed by credit card you might be able to get them to stop payment. If it is a good credit card company they will be glad to do it if your getting ripped off. I would call and ask what can be done and do it right away.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Easy, easy...

Whoa, don't panic the guy! I think he should at least see if they can meet the shipping time-frame they gave him. If it starts getting slim shady, then start making calls.

I hope it works out smoothly.

Also, in my experience, grey market or straight-up purchased from the Sony store here in NYC, getting broken electronics fixed is always a chore. It's gonna suck either way. So if the thing arrives, and you get a good price, you're still doing alright.

By the way, I think the A1U and A1E, etc., cameras are just off-handedly referred to as the 'A1,' I don't believe there's a specific 'A1' model. Let us know when you get it, Matthew.
Bill McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #64
Major Player

Okay, this rebate has really gotten my attention. I don't need HD at the moment (and really can't even use it for any of my already-scheduled 2006 projects, to be honest)....but at this price, I don't know if I can pass it up.

I currently shoot with a PDX10 in DVCAM mode (SD). We now have a need to buy a second camera, one that will work within similar parameters as our current one (meaning 16:9 DV, interlaced, same audio setup, etc). So we looked into the price of buying another new one from B&H, but and when it's all said and done, there's only a $300 difference between a PDX10 and an A1U (which is well within my budget).

Wow. I just can't believe this price. Now if I can just get over a few annoying egronomic issues with the A1, I just might have to order one....
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Duane, I am sure you can. The A1 DOES take some getting used to, but once you so, you can't imagine going back to anything else you have. Sure the bottom loading tape mechanism is a pain-in-the-butt, but there are numerous adapters out there that has resolves this issue.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #66
Major Player

Well the bottom-loading isn't the ONLY thing I don't like; I'd prefer manual buttons instead of on-screen, and I'd prefer the eyepiece pull out like my PDX10 (althought I think an iCuff would help).

But I think the IMAGE improvment will make it worthwhile to learn to live with those annoyances.

I'm definately going to run this idea by the boss. :-)
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
Well the bottom-loading isn't the ONLY thing I don't like; I'd prefer manual buttons instead of on-screen, and I'd prefer the eyepiece pull out like my PDX10 (althought I think an iCuff would help).

But I think the IMAGE improvment will make it worthwhile to learn to live with those annoyances.

What are you using now for the 4x4 DVD? The PDX?
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith

Agreed, the on-screen menus, while well-organized and better than most, are still on-screeen. But I guess that is one of the compromises for size and cost.
A friend of mine who has the PDX10 also cites the lack of 'pro' data offered to you by the A1U, like using '+' and '-' everywhere instead of actual gain, exposure, and f-stop settings... But he's having a hard time resisting the HDV. I think it could still be taken a few steps further in the 'pro' direction, but I've covered that in my previous posts in this thread.
Bill McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
What are you using now for the 4x4 DVD? The PDX?
Yes. It fits my needs well -- small enough to run-and-gun with all day long (generally, I shoot for 2 days straight, 8+ hours per day). The PDX10 has it's own fair share of problems, but I've learned to avoid them as well. And thankfully, EVERYTHING that I shoot is outdoors in full daylight, so the bad low-light performance isn't an issue.

Why, do you think the A1 would be a bad choice for what I'm shooting? Or maybe a good one?

LOL!
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #70
Major Player

. Probably better and like you said you are shooting outside,,
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Well, I recieved my camera today... been playing with it for hours now. And you guys were right, Definately black market... it's the A1J, and no warrenty, and worst of all, no rebate... I think I'm gonna have to sell my left eye to cover this.

Actually, considering the lowest real retail price minus the rebate, I think I did alright. I was pretty close to buying a DVX100 around the same price, which wouldn't have had a warrenty, and would have been more likely to had problems (since it was 3 years old).

So all in all... a somewhat scary ride, but worth it so far. I'm going to try and brake this thing in over the next couple weeks with my depth of field rig... will post some samples when I get something worthy...

thanks for all the support guys.

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #72
Major Player

Did you pay buy credit card? Call them and tell them you got scammed. They will stop payment and once you know its been stopped call that dealer up ask where he wants the camera shipped back too. Ask him to send you a shipping label Let him pay for the shipping.

Most credit card companies are good about helping.
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Unless I'd be able to keep the camera, I think I'll stick with it... and like I said, I think, even without the rebate, I got a pretty good price.

Old February 10th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Anybody had a problem processing the Rebate form online? I filled it all out, clicked "Submit invoice and finish" and it just stalls and stalls.... I'm using Firefox.

Lee
Lee Kazimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #75
Major Player

Lee, used Firefox Mac for mine, and it worked without a hitch.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series