Bottom Loading workaround? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Bottom Loading workaround?

I've tried the search, but couldn't find it. I know awhile ago I read a thread about a quick on/off tripod mount that would enable you to get to the bottom loading tape drive of the HC-1 rather easily. Does any one remember it? There was a link to some items at B&H. I'm leaving for a trip in 2 weeks and would like to get one before I go. Thanks for the Help:)
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

check this thread http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53249
second post down
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Major Player

This is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-f...QQcmdZViewItem

Made and sold by a guy on this group. The construction is top notch and the cut out is exactly the right shape for the HC-1 or A1. I have one and it stays on the camera all the time.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Major Player

anyone tried this with a beachtek? Or can measure the distances from the tripod hole to the edge?

thanks
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee
anyone tried this with a beachtek? Or can measure the distances from the tripod hole to the edge?
Do you mean is the Beachtek DXA-2s?

I checked the dimensions on their site, I think it would work fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have many of these finished parts on hand. I am making another batch, which I hope will be done within a week. I just found a new one set aside that isn't listed, so for one lucky person that can't wait a week, I can send that out any time.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Major Player

You know, the bottom loading solution could become something more: a bottom loading offset/beachtek/mic-mount would be pretty darned cool!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Major Player

I agree. I would like to see an offset/rod system for matte box or 35mm adapters.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
You know, the bottom loading solution could become something more: a bottom loading offset/beachtek/mic-mount would be pretty darned cool!
I already have something in the works that can do something like this, though the Beachtek would simply be treated as a tripod accessory, and is also a vertical rise rather than side offset. It wouldn't be specific to a particular product, any tripod compatible accessory should work with it. I hope to have a pilot run for comments the end of next week.

One thing I didn't ask is whether the Beachtek itself can bolt to a tripod, that would be important.

Edit: I watched the video on their site, showed what I needed to know, and the answer is yes.
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Out of stock

The tripod spacer adaptor is still out of stock on the ebay site. Anyone any idea when there will be more in ?
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wade
The tripod spacer adaptor is still out of stock on the ebay site. Anyone any idea when there will be more in ?
Mike;

I should have more on or before Friday, Feb 3. Thank you.

Jeff

edit: corrected date.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; January 27th, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Major Player

New model

Images of prototype of new model:
sitting on table
on tripod

The prototype is uncoated, bare aluminum, the real product is powder coated black. In actual use, I think it's surprisingly nice. The only time I take it off is for test fitting my other adapter models.

I made this version because people with larger tripod heads where having some trouble getting my main version to work. Shown is the version with an accessory mount, I will offer a version without that as well. The accessory mount accepts the Canon SA-1 (shown in first picture), Bescor VB-50 (shown in second picture) and similar shoe mount adapters that would normally screw into the tripod mount hole.

I should have this and more of the standard thin plate version up for sale and ready to ship tonight or tomorrow.
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just received Jeff's newly designed adapter, the one with the accessory mount.
It works nicely with my larger tripod head and it's extremely well-made. I can also see where there are advantages to keeping the camera on it even when not using a tripod, since the camera is very stable sitting on the adapter as a base. Nice job, Jeff!
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #13
Major Player

For sale on Ebay now.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words, Patricia, I am glad it works well for you.

The adapters have been listed for a week now, somehow I didn't think it was necessary to make a post.

I now have a slightly more formal page listing what I am currently selling, which is here:

http://demaagd.com/accessories.html

Most of my selling is still through eBay because the web store front isn't finished, but I am trying to keep the links accurate.
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Jeff, truly amazing. You have saved me from a pain-in-the-butt routine. I will tell the world about you! :)
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series