Help with A1E audio settings, please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with A1E audio settings, please.

I can't seem to increase the volume on my new A1E. I have the extension mic plugged into input 1 and whatever I do in the Standard Set menu to Mic Level, Ext Sur Mic and XLR Set and switching from auto to manual, the sound I'm getting remains constant at what I guess is less than half of what it should be. Help much appreciated - I've a job on Friday.
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #2
New Boot

The A1's external mic (ECM-NV1) is a junk. It is so low level mic that it's almost impossible to use it. You'll get much hotter sound when using better mics.
Petteri Salmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm beginning to realise that, Petteri. In fact when I take the external mic off and rely on the built in mic at least I get an acceptable volume level - I don't know whether it is variable though - I've not tried that yet.
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #4
New Boot

I'm still looking for a better mic. I tested A1 with Rode NT5 (which is studio mic, not suitable for camera mic) and ECM-NV1. Difference between those two mics were about 10db! + the sound was much better via Rode.
Petteri Salmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

OK more or less sorted. To get an acceptable sound level you have to increase the volume to full in the Ext Sur Mic menues for the External mic provided by Sony. You can see the actual levels being recorded in the VF. If you want to dispense with the External mic you have to unplug it - not just switch it off. The volume level in the Menu can then be dropped down a bit. There are no levels shown in the VF for the built in mic.

Cheers
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petteri Salmi
I'm still looking for a better mic. I tested A1 with Rode NT5 (which is studio mic, not suitable for camera mic) and ECM-NV1. Difference between those two mics were about 10db! + the sound was much better via Rode.
Try the Rode NTG1. that should work well.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series