I'd Like Hc1 But I Have Some Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 13th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1
New Boot

I'd Like Hc1 But I Have Some Questions

Hi all,
i'm quite convinced in buying one but have some doubts, thanks to who'd like to answer.

1. Can u shoot in HDV mode with shutter speed at 1/25?
2. When shooting with cinema effect can you control iris and shutter speed?
3. Can someone provide me some sample frames of someone moving with static background shot both on 1080i and 720p?
4. Could someone provide me footage shot on sunny day with cinema mode and with 1080i and 1/25 shutter?

I know its a lot... well I try...
thanks
Alarik
Alarik Miikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #2
New Boot

And also:
- can u have manual control over all?
- are there ND filters?
- I read "Although HC1 doesn't have direct control of aperture, it can be reviewed with Data Code on playback" WHAT? YOU CANT CONTROL IRIS WHEN SHOOTING? What does it mean "review it after"?

Thanks again
Alarik Miikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarik Miikael
Hi all,
i'm quite convinced in buying one but have some doubts, thanks to who'd like to answer.

1. Can u shoot in HDV mode with shutter speed at 1/25?
2. When shooting with cinema effect can you control iris and shutter speed?
3. Can someone provide me some sample frames of someone moving with static background shot both on 1080i and 720p?
4. Could someone provide me footage shot on sunny day with cinema mode and with 1080i and 1/25 shutter?

I know its a lot... well I try...
thanks
Alarik
1) with the hdr-hc1e (pal version) you can shoot 1/25th
2) no, only exposure readings
3)the hdr-hc1 cannot shoot 720p, search around the forums for footage
4) go to dvxuser.com, find macgregor's footage named 'secret garden'. not sure what his settings are, but its definetly pal footage (with a beta g35, and oh yea, its an fx1, but we all know that the hc1/a1 has a higher native resolution :-)

and to your second post

- you can have limited manual control for exposure, shutter, focus, wb, wb shift, ae shift. im sure i left something out.
-its there, but it cant be controlled directly, i.e. automatic
-see this chart as to iris "control" http://hdvforever.com/hdv/exposure/
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Trustee

How do you adjust exposure in Cinema Mode?

On my HC1 , as soon as cinema mode is activated the shutter speed menu option greys-out and the exposure level lever becomes nonfunctional ....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
How do you adjust exposure in Cinema Mode?

On my HC1 , as soon as cinema mode is activated the shutter speed menu option greys-out and the exposure level lever becomes nonfunctional ....
whoops, my bad, slipped past me there. you cannot adjust crap in cinema mode.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Alarik - what it means is that you're not told at the time of shooting what shutter speed, aperture, gain or ND (if any) is being applied, it's simply an idiot's 'bar-chart' on screen. On replay you should be able to select 'display' and get told what every frame received by way of exposure (but not what ND was applied of course).

Haven't tried this in the HDV mode, but in SD the Mini DV should give up this info to any other Sony camcorder or VCR. If you replay the tape in a Panasonic or Canon they'll often missread the shutter speed, leave of the Steadyshot info and even omit the white balance settings.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
what it means is that you're not told at the time of shooting what shutter speed, aperture, gain or ND (if any) is being applied, it's simply an idiot's 'bar-chart' on screen.
Just a note though - if you set the shutter speed first, then press the manual exposure button, the shutter speed appears to lock at whatever you set it to. Not only does the data code appear to confirm that, but (for those who don't trust the data code) I have yet to find a situation where I've been able to visually detect a change in shutter speed once everything was locked. Using it this way you can lock your shutter speed and then use the exposure lever to control only aperture & gain - more than six notches left and it's only aperture. Print a label with the gain/aperture/nd ranges for the side of the screen and you've essentially got full manual control - except that you can't add gain at anything other than full aperture. It's not ideal, but it's certainly workable for most uses.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Good post Evan. It's really important with movies to a have locked-down shutter speed and to vary the exposure either with the iris or ND filters (or however the A1 is doing it with the cmos chip readout). If you let the shutter speed roam - as you can with the PDX10 in the aperture priority mode for instance - you get really wierd effects with things such as aeroplane propellers that come to a stop and even go backwards as the strobing syncs with the varying shutter.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #9
New Boot

Regarding the matter of iris control you can look at this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60555

I am as surprised as you are about this thing of seeing the basic information of the iris, shutter,... only in playback. I don't understand how Sony can do it this way.
Vincent Sanchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sanchis
I am as surprised as you are about this thing of seeing the basic information of the iris, shutter,... only in playback. I don't understand how Sony can do it this way.
Most manufacturers do it this way with consumer cams. I've seen panasonics and canons and when in auto for example you only see 'auto' on the screen. You have to playback to see the different adjustments.
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series