Received $500 Rebate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Received $500 Rebate

Rather than posting in the other thread, I thought I might start one here for those of you who took advantage of the rebate on the A1U.

We use it as a B camera, and purchased it about three weeks ago from B&HFoto. Actually got it for $2299.00 using a link that has since expired for the MWSF special sale price.

Today, 2/22, we received the rebate check. Kinda a small check physically, but it came
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That's pretty quick turn-around time for a rebate check. How do you like the camera?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

We like it due to its form factor. It is unobtrusive, and produces some very nice images from what little we've used it for.

Bought a SpiderBrace and we have a Merlin Steadicam that we have yet to configure.

I actually do not mind the touch screen menu because it is pretty intuitive.

Our main camera is a Z1U although we continue to look at the Canon and the Panny
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I find using the touchscreen on my TRV70 annoyingly slow. Personally I find it much quicker (and easier) to flip through a menu with a wheel. Other than that, I love the TRV70 as a camera that can produce a great image, for the size of the cam, that I can easily take along with me everywhere I go, in case I run into something unexpectedly, that I want to shoot (I take it with me almost everytime I go out of the house).
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The touchscreen menu shines in low-lit environments. Once you personalize it how you like it, you won't mind it at all. I am also using a Boxwave screen protector which makes the LCD more accurate and much sturdier when pressing. I recommend it to everyone.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Alexander,

Can you give more details on the boxwave screen protector?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Graeme
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Major Player

The A1/HC1 ability to custiomize the touch screen is really cool and makes this feature an asset rather than a hindrance.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm really glad to hear about these positive experiences with the A1U touchscreen. My FX1 should be here next week, and I'm looking at getting an A1U as a second (and backup) camera, sometime in the next few months. From what I've been reading on here, in the posts, it sounds like the A1U, while somewhat different than mainstream (in a few ways), in how you control it, does appear to be quite workable.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sure. The Boxwave screen protector is phenomenal. Easy to apply (comes with everything you need: screen protector, fiber cloth for cleaning prior to application, and even a small card to apply by sliding it). After the screen protector is applied, you will experience less glare, much firmer LCD feel, and surprinsingly, more accurate navigation with the touch menu. I have used it constantly on my PDAs and can't picture doing without it.

Here are pictures I took when I got it and after I applied it:

http://media.sonyhdvinfo.com/media/p...r-a1u/Boxwave/

Hope this helps. :)
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
Sure. The Boxwave screen protector is phenomenal. Easy to apply (comes with everything you need: screen protector, fiber cloth for cleaning prior to application, and even a small card to apply by sliding it). After the screen protector is applied, you will experience less glare, much firmer LCD feel, and surprinsingly, more accurate navigation with the touch menu. I have used it constantly on my PDAs and can't picture doing without it.

Here are pictures I took when I got it and after I applied it:

http://media.sonyhdvinfo.com/media/p...r-a1u/Boxwave/

Hope this helps. :)
Alexander -

Does boxwave have a screen protector made for the A1 or did you use another? I used these with my Treo 650 cell and really liked them.

Thanks
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
Alexander -

Does boxwave have a screen protector made for the A1 or did you use another? I used these with my Treo 650 cell and really liked them.

Thanks
If you go to their website you'll see that they make one for the HC1, which is the same size as the A1U.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Today, 2/22, we received the rebate check. Kinda a small check physically, but it came[/QUOTE]

I received my rebate also. If you have one coming, be careful sorting your mail. Sony makes the check look very much like a piece of junk mail. I wouldn't say it's intentional, but I suspect a number of people have tossed it in the trash. I very nearly did.
Francois Camoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #13
Major Player

Could you take a picture of the evelope and post it on an external site with link, so I know what it looks like and I don't throw it away?
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I have not received my rebate for the A1U, but I bet it was like another I got from them. Is it the type where you tear the edges off? If so...it is fairly small and does look similar to junk mail.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series