Un-Documented Features at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Un-Documented Features

One of my pet loves about Sony Camcorders is that there nearly always is some feature which is not documented and left for the user to discover :)

Some I have found are

1 Super Slow Rocker Zoom when entering SHOT TRANS mode

2 Extra Stop in lowlight (above F1.8 18db) when the BACKLIGHT button is pressed

3 Focus Peaking in RED when in EXPANDED FOCUS mode

4 Wider Angle of View (~0.95x) when entering SHOT TRANS mode - thats about 90,000 more pixels

Ok, 3 & 4 are mentioned in the manual in small print but easily missed on a first read

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Un-Documented Features

Don’t forget with the Manfrotto 523 Pro remote control you also get a Push auto focus button feature when in manual mode and there is no button on the A1 camera to do that.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
2 Extra Stop in lowlight (above F1.8 18db) when the BACKLIGHT button is pressed
Hmm. Wouldn´t this just be the camera adding some gain? What does the data code report on this (with and without backlight button)

EDIT: sorry i just read your post again and saw that you said it was already at +18db. This is interesting. Have you any idea what it is? slower shutter?

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

My best guess is that the EIP is threshold based, thus when a backlit subject is corrected its because the shadow detail is below the threshold and therefore gets boosted.

However when all is below the threshold as in low light F1.8 +18db then everything gets boosted, which may be as much as 1.5 stops.

I have noticed that the luma gets boosted much more - so when using the backlight button in lowlight; ramp the colour gain all the way to the right.

Nevertheless it's a great feature

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Uddstrom
Don’t forget with the Manfrotto 523 Pro remote control you also get a Push auto focus button feature when in manual mode and there is no button on the A1 camera to do that.
I have a Varizoom Lanc controller with a pust to autofocus button. It doesn't work with my A1.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
I have a Varizoom Lanc controller with a pust to autofocus button. It doesn't work with my A1.
thats really weird.. cause i just bought the one you recommended and the focus works great on my A1. ( The Varizoom stealth)

also.. that .7 you have on your camera.. i cant believe how hard it is to get..
(besides getting it from sonystyle of course)
every friggen body is out of stock, i'm over it.
Vish Matepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish Matepi
thats really weird.. cause i just bought the one you recommended and the focus works great on my A1. ( The Varizoom stealth)

also.. that .7 you have on your camera.. i cant believe how hard it is to get..
(besides getting it from sonystyle of course)
every friggen body is out of stock, i'm over it.
Whatever you do, don't give up and get the Century Optics .65 model instead. The image from that lens simply sucks. Wait and keep looking. Eventually you'll find the Sony lens in stock somewhere. Yeah, it took me several months.

The manual focus on the Varizoom works great. The "push to autofocus" button is the one that isn't working for me. On my posts a while back I recommended a simpler Varizoom remote than the one I actually bought because the extra features on the more advanced model didn't work on the A1 anyway.
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

heh, well i just shot my first wedding.. i've got basiclly everything you have..
except that stupid lens.. and i must say.. shooting with the spiderbrace and varizoom
made thing's so much easier and more professional.. i love your setup laurence
it's perfect.. i'm very greatfull for you posting your camera spec's ..it just made thing's so much easier.

ok.. the one thing i learnt with kids & weddings? don't get too friendly with them... i sat my camera down for like 5second's to change the tape.. and like an eagle swooping it's prey.. my camera was floating about 4ft off the ground around the backyard, my heart was in my mouth. lucky she did'nt break anything but DAMN.

also laurence i noticed the diffuser you got for your light.. does'nt really fit.. hehe... well it sorta did.. no big deal though.. it stays there, people still thought it was a tad bright..(too bad) but it certainly does cut down alot of the pirecing bright light

and i was wondering if you had posted your computer spec's somewhere on the forum?
thanks again.
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #9
New Boot

don´t forget that you can set the shutter to 1/30 in lowlight without unsmooth motion.
Bjoern Sonnenschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=shooting with the spiderbrace and varizoom
made thing's so much easier and more professional..
thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Couple of questions:

1) How bad a fit was the cover?

2) I also need some stability. How WAS the spiderbrace in action? Why do you think it's better than a shoulder brace or monopod with brace?

Thanks.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ries
Couple of questions:

1) How bad a fit was the cover?

2) I also need some stability. How WAS the spiderbrace in action? Why do you think it's better than a shoulder brace or monopod with brace?

Thanks.
1) i don't understand? i'm dumb.

2) the spider brace in action was good actully i really really liked it.. it was'nt perfect.. i still got sore front deltoids but it certainly took more than 40% of the load off.. and my shot's were reasonbly steady... i can't compare it to anything except a mono pod or a tripod.. cause thats all i've used..
and with that.. i must say, i could have used the mono pod through the long boring bits of the wedding.
ideally if you could have a brace set up.. and have the weight of the camera resting on your belt or something.. obiously it's going to be easier...
but it's going to be alot more expensive.. compared to the $65 i paid for mine.
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Lens Clarification

[QUOTE=Laurence Kingston]Whatever you do, don't give up and get the Century Optics .65 model instead. The image from that lens simply sucks. Wait and keep looking. Eventually you'll find the Sony lens in stock somewhere. Yeah, it took me several months.

Laurence,

Ae you recommending the Sony or Century Optics lens. Which one sucked. Maybe I'm not reading your quote right.

Thanks
John
John K. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #13
Major Player

[QUOTE=John K. Anderson]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
Whatever you do, don't give up and get the Century Optics .65 model instead. The image from that lens simply sucks. Wait and keep looking. Eventually you'll find the Sony lens in stock somewhere. Yeah, it took me several months.

Laurence,

Ae you recommending the Sony or Century Optics lens. Which one sucked. Maybe I'm not reading your quote right.

Thanks
John
The Sony lens is great. The Century Optics one sucks. Strange since the Century Optics one is quite a bit more expensive!
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #14
New Boot

HC1E Special Low Light Mode...

I use it often and it works !

1. Select "Sunset&Moon" in program AE (In this mode the camera exposure will never exceed +9dB and the Shutter speed is always at 1/50 (probably 1/60 for US models)... The limit point Where the picture is still good !)

2. Push the "Back Light" button... Low lights are better and now you can see details in the shadows...

The picture can be greatly manipulated in post...
Rodolphe Pellerin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series