Clips of Reds on HC1 or A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 26th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Clips of Reds on HC1 or A1?

Because it has become a known "problem," and I haven't been able to find anything to actually view, I was wondering if anyone had actual clips of the HC1 or A1 (preferably NTSC, US version) shooting largely red scenes (i.e. as much of the things in the frame are in various shades of red) so I could guage this "problem" for myself.

Please, no color correction either with +2 (or any other color adjustment) on the camera's color option or in post production. I hope to see how bad the red problem really is as-is. If possible, I'd appreciate seeing these red clips in both full auto mode and manual mode adjusted (without color correction) as best as possible.

Also, comparison footage of the exact same scene (or extremely similar scene) with another camera, such as the FX1/Z1 that doesn't have this red problem would be extremely useful. Please no color correction on the comparison camera's footage either, and be consistent as possible with other settings. (i.e. compare full auto HC1/A1 footage with full auto comparison camera footage, or if specific elements are adjusted on the HC1/A1, also adjust those same elements manually on the comparsion camera). Be sure to use the same white balance too.

Thanks!
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #2
New Boot

When you use Outdoor WB preset it is sometimes too warm and the compression in reds is not really good. You need to use a Manual WB and/or use the WB shift with the preset.

On a FX1/Z1 I see the same thing... You just need a good White balance !

NB: A Varicam with a bad WB gives you bad blues... Even big boys are not perfects !!!

Last edited by Rodolphe Pellerin; February 26th, 2006 at 06:51 AM.
Rodolphe Pellerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm interested in clips that have correct manual white balance. If blue is also a problem, please post clips of that too. Thanks.
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Clips with red

Hi,

I have some clips shot on my HC1 in still mode. Is it possible to attach files or include images in posts in this forum ?

Christian
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #5
Major Player

http://hmcindie.pp.fi/kamerakuvia/Megaleffa/2.jpg

Atleast the post in the background seems to be ok for a red post.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Does anyone have actual footage and not just stills? Comparison footage with another camera that has correct or better red ability would be good also.
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Check out http://www.apollologic.com/movies/hc1_reds/

My comments are in the other HC1-red-thread...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series