A1U Rental / Camera Op Rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #1
New Boot

A1U Rental / Camera Op Rates

I'm in the stages of purchasing an HDV cam, and I'm set on the A1U (read all of it's features and reviews). This will be my first HDV cam and even thou I would shoot personal projects i would also like to rent / freelance with it. Doing some research online, I have not seen this camera for rent as compared to Sony HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (even XL1, Pan 24p 100a, etc). Would this camera not be considered a Production rental canidate for events, docs, etc. It has Pro features such as DVcam, XLR, Timecode. This would be used as a B-camera such as GL2/XL1 and PDX10/PD170.

Is their a market for this camera as a rental / paid freelance work? Would anyone know its rental rate? How much would you charge for a A1U Rental? Would it make sense in jumping directly into the Z1, even thou twice the price? I would like to work this camera time to time to help lower its cost :-)

Thanks in Advance
Steve Peralta
New Jersey / New York
Steve Peralta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2
Tourist

Rental options (in my professional opinion)

Hey,

i think there are a couple of downsides to the A1U (i am an owner).

1. This camera has a 4:2:0 8-bit Chroma Sub-Sampling ratio, which i have heard is not Pro-HD quality, I am not 100% about this so called fact and whether it pertains to the other sony HDV cams.

2. Motion tends to be a slight problem, panning and bad zooming features. Zooming can be corrected with a LANC add-on.

the only real way, that i feel i could rent this camera out, is if i rented it as an upgrade to a PD-170 DVCAM camera package, it has superior image quality and works well as a DVCAM camera. It has all the necessary options and is cheaper.

Besides the motion problems and sample ratio I feel this camera was a great buy, especially with the $500 rebate from sony. I use this for making pilots, recording performances and personal stuff, and i don't regret it at all.

Gabe
Gabriel Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Major Player

I think it would depend on the market, though it would be nice to know the general ranges used. I know one guy that rented out his Z1 and some equipment for a while, knowing that and taking about half that might get a starting point for the equipment. The only problem is that I don't talk to him very often, once a month would be very lucky and I already met him twice this year.

That doesn't help with camera operator time though, that too depends on what your local market will bear, such as what do you think your time is worth and whether you can convince people to pay that.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #4
New Boot

I know people that rent / freelance with GL2 (the b-cam of the xl1 series)
It is not as much demand as the main 3 chip cameras. I know the HDV is new to the video market, I believe as time catches on i guess the potential of the A1U will be noticed. Z1 are going for 200 - 300 per day.
Steve Peralta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5
New Boot

Rental?

Is their a market for this camera as a rental / paid freelance work? Would anyone know its rental rate? How much would you charge for a A1U Rental?
Thanks
Steve
Steve Peralta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series